Illegal pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
Game scenarip: runner at 2nd and 3rd. B1 has a 3-0 count on the next pitch the pitcher throws an illegal pitch which gives the batter ball 4 and she is awarded 1st base. Offensive coach questions hp umpire if the other 2 runners are awarded an extra base. He says no so coach ask for help and field umpire says they are awarded an extra base. Just curious what is correct ruling. It was a usssa tournament.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
When an illegal pitch occurs, each base runner is awarded the next base including home. If no one is on base its only counted as a ball.
In your scenario, you should have had a run score and runners at 1st and 3rd.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2010
Florida
That is what took place. Thought the way run would have scored is if they were forced. Is answer the same in all leagues.

Jun 22, 2008
An illegal pitch call always advances any runners on base. Same in all rule sets.

Jun 22, 2008
C division of what? I am not aware of any C division in any rule set I have ever worked.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
C division of what? I am not aware of any C division in any rule set I have ever worked.

LOL, I'm sure it's a local league with a few local supplemental rules. You need to get to the rec leagues. We've got all kinds of supplemental stuff for you to learn.:)

Jun 24, 2013
That brings up one of the conspiracy theories. In the College playoffs they only seem to call illegal pitches when no one is on base. Theory being they do not want to affect the game by advancing the runners.

More conspiracy theories latter.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
I'm in the camp of doing away with advancing runners. There is no logical reason for it. IP's don't affect runners like a balk does in baseball.

Jun 22, 2008
I would assume the original reason for making the penalty so harsh was to encourage coaches and pitchers to make sure they were pitching within the rules. But, it would seem it may have had the opposite effect with officiating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877