Illegal Pitch! Dead ball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
So said the BU with a runner on 2nd and a hit roped into the gap. Then when our runner stayed on 3rd he says, "it's a dead ball! She needs to go back to 2nd!"

Good news is she did get 3rd. Bad news is he didn't give the batter her hit and we didn't score. We lost the 1st game of the state tournament 1-0.

Jun 22, 2008
Do these tournaments not allow protests? Because it really should have been protested.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Exactly why COACHES need to crack the spine of the rule book too...this should have been a no brainer protest...but you have to know the rules as a coach...

Jan 14, 2015
A new set of umpires should have been brought in. Illegal pitch calls can be commonplace just as Interference and Obstruction. It should be one of those rules EVERYONE has a general understanding or common knowledge of what the proper penalties are.

Nov 29, 2009
Do these tournaments not allow protests? Because it really should have been protested.

Most do not. It will usually say something in the tournament rules about no protests allowed and the umpire decision is final. So you're wasting time even trying most times.

Dec 20, 2012
So said the BU with a runner on 2nd and a hit roped into the gap. Then when our runner stayed on 3rd he says, "it's a dead ball! She needs to go back to 2nd!"

Good news is she did get 3rd. Bad news is he didn't give the batter her hit and we didn't score. We lost the 1st game of the state tournament 1-0.

Not sure what the gripe is here? The illegal pitch is a dead ball so the batter gets a ball and runner gets a base.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
Not sure what the gripe is here? The illegal pitch is a dead ball so the batter gets a ball and runner gets a base.

Delayed dead ball if it's hit and the batter reaches base safely. Then the illegal pitch is to be cancelled:
Offense does have a gripe here.

Now, why he gave the runner third, if not allowing the hit to stand, makes no sense.
(Maybe a baseball umpire thinking it's a balk rule?)

Jun 22, 2008
Most do not. It will usually say something in the tournament rules about no protests allowed and the umpire decision is final. So you're wasting time even trying most times.

Then someone needs to go to the TD with plays such as this and tell them to either hire umpires who actually know the rules or start allowing protests so that the umpires they are using will learn the rules.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio

Must be something unique to your area. My experience is that most do. Granted, they charge a ridiculous fee to do so, which isn't a requirement in the rule book and stinks. But, they do allow them and if you win the protest you get your money back.

This year I will work about a dozen tournaments and only one of them won't allow protests.

Jan 14, 2015
I was taught if the illegal pitch is put in play by the batter you call "illegal delayed dead ball" and let the play on the field finish. Then the offense has the option of accepting the play on the field or not accepting it, which would result in a "ball" and the runner advances one base. Let me know if I'm wrong please.

(Edit: grammar correction)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish