Ill-equipped, 22 y/o, unmotivated TB HC in WAYYY over her head...when/if to step in?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
I'll try to keep it short, although I'm sure some of you have been through what we are going through and might offer some advice or experience. We're hoping to take action on this before we're stuck in the middle of the spring league with this coach.

Local TB organization held tryouts for one 14U team but had enough players to create a 2nd team. This was my DD's first TB team. They assign a previous AC to be the new HC of the new team. She's 22, gives last minute notice for hour-long practices, has an AC that does nothing but give opposite direction on the field as the HC, etc. This HC is not committed. A few of the parents, myself included, have been mostly responsible for setting up scrimmages and tournaments, setting up extra practices (we barely had one a week during the Fall), organizing fundraisers, getting to the fields early and getting everything set up, and me basically doing all the "administrative" duties including sending out ALL text messages about practices, games, workouts and directions to venues. The HC did manage to set up winter workouts two nights a week but even then the clinics are one hour each and end at 9:30 on a school night. Basically, there were a lot of promises and big talk at the first team meeting but the majority of it has gone unfulfilled.

I set up an indoor batting cage rental for consecutive Sundays at an insanely low price thanks to a connection I have with another organization, for which I had gotten permission to do from the HC, and she declared that we were to do that on our own without her help. This past Monday night at clinic the HC lectured the players about not giving 100% and being lazy during the clinic. I wonder if it's because of the example the coaches are setting? Ironically during the clinic, the AC was laying down taking it easy for a half hour on the turf doing nothing. Some of the parents have nicknamed that AC "Driftwood." Me, I try not to get personal, but it's to the point where something has to be done. I should add that all the parents seem to feel the same way. To make matters worse, the President of the organization doesn't return emails or phone calls, and is actually in the process of stepping down. Basically, there's not even anyone to take our complaints to.

So...this coming weekend the parents are going to have a meeting. We may wind up having a sit-down with the coaches which may end with them up and quitting. Fine by me, we just want the players to stay together because they all like each other a lot and get along great. The last thing we want is players to be split up and parents to get all pissed. I should note that the parents all get along very well. I am not convinced that the situation will get better with the current coaches, but we are willing to give them a chance, which we will probably give them a certain time frame to show improvement.

In case we have to go rogue, with the help of a friend who is like a damn travel ball guru, I put together some costs if we have to take over the team. I would probably run the team with the help of two of the dads. I would organize professional instructors for the facility I've locked down for as many Sundays in a row that we want. I looked at securing the upcoming spring, summer and fall leagues (36 games total) with NJBL, added the cost of umpires and new uniforms, and the cost of 6 summer tournaments. Suffice to say it is a very reasonable cost, MUCH less then what we're paying now (for getting so little), and all of the money would go towards the team instead of lining any coaches' or organization's pockets.

I should add that I've coached rec ball for about 12 years and while I still have a lot to learn I make up for in my passion and dedication to the players.

Have you been there? What happened? What would you have done differently? Am I crazy? (Don't answer that!)

May 17, 2012
Are the players learning/getting better via the current coaching staff? If not move on.

Are you paying the coaches? (I got the impression that you were)

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
Are the players learning/getting better via the current coaching staff? If not move on.

Are you paying the coaches? (I got the impression that you were)

I have not seen a significant improvement. There have been so few scrimmages and tournaments so far that's it's hard to gauge. We've been in five scrimmages and one tournament and they all seemed to not show much improvement. Then again, there were probably only about five practices in there so how can they really improve? And they are short, inefficient practices. And yes, the coaches are paid from the organization that the team belongs to.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I'll try to keep it short, although I'm sure some of you have been through what we are going through and might offer some advice or experience. We're hoping to take action on this before we're stuck in the middle of the spring league with this coach.

Local TB organization held tryouts for one 14U team but had enough players to create a 2nd team. This was my DD's first TB team. They assign a previous AC to be the new HC of the new team. She's 22, gives last minute notice for hour-long practices, has an AC that does nothing but give opposite direction on the field as the HC, etc. This HC is not committed. A few of the parents, myself included, have been mostly responsible for setting up scrimmages and tournaments, setting up extra practices (we barely had one a week during the Fall), organizing fundraisers, getting to the fields early and getting everything set up, and me basically doing all the "administrative" duties including sending out ALL text messages about practices, games, workouts and directions to venues. The HC did manage to set up winter workouts two nights a week but even then the clinics are one hour each and end at 9:30 on a school night. Basically, there were a lot of promises and big talk at the first team meeting but the majority of it has gone unfulfilled.

I set up an indoor batting cage rental for consecutive Sundays at an insanely low price thanks to a connection I have with another organization, for which I had gotten permission to do from the HC, and she declared that we were to do that on our own without her help. This past Monday night at clinic the HC lectured the players about not giving 100% and being lazy during the clinic. I wonder if it's because of the example the coaches are setting? Ironically during the clinic, the AC was laying down taking it easy for a half hour on the turf doing nothing. Some of the parents have nicknamed that AC "Driftwood." Me, I try not to get personal, but it's to the point where something has to be done. I should add that all the parents seem to feel the same way. To make matters worse, the President of the organization doesn't return emails or phone calls, and is actually in the process of stepping down. Basically, there's not even anyone to take our complaints to.

So...this coming weekend the parents are going to have a meeting. We may wind up having a sit-down with the coaches which may end with them up and quitting. Fine by me, we just want the players to stay together because they all like each other a lot and get along great. The last thing we want is players to be split up and parents to get all pissed. I should note that the parents all get along very well. I am not convinced that the situation will get better with the current coaches, but we are willing to give them a chance, which we will probably give them a certain time frame to show improvement.

In case we have to go rogue, with the help of a friend who is like a damn travel ball guru, I put together some costs if we have to take over the team. I would probably run the team with the help of two of the dads. I would organize professional instructors for the facility I've locked down for as many Sundays in a row that we want. I looked at securing the upcoming spring, summer and fall leagues (36 games total) with NJBL, added the cost of umpires and new uniforms, and the cost of 6 summer tournaments. Suffice to say it is a very reasonable cost, MUCH less then what we're paying now (for getting so little), and all of the money would go towards the team instead of lining any coaches' or organization's pockets.

I should add that I've coached rec ball for about 12 years and while I still have a lot to learn I make up for in my passion and dedication to the players.

Have you been there? What happened? What would you have done differently? Am I crazy? (Don't answer that!)

It sounds to me like you've already made up your mind to take over the team. If this is the case then go full bore. When you meet with the parents just propose a coup and make it quick and painless. Why drag it out with a window of time for the coach to improve? I can't see that getting anything but ugly and tense, you and the parents get what they want and the coaches get a lesson in how to deal with TB parents that they can use in the future.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
No way should you stay around for that.... you're supposed to get what you pay for, and at this point, it sounds like you need a refund. Find a new program ASAP!

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
If you are going to do this, be sure on the facts. Around here, 14u getting one hour indoors that ends at 9:30 is like a godsend. Late notice may be for a number of reasons, again due to lots of teams wanting facilities or fields and not enough fields.

She could be intimidated by you or not getting support from the org. I see a bit of looking for reasons to take over. I think what you are doing behind the coach's back is awful. You should have talked to them first. Sorry if it is not your intention to barge in, but sometimes we have to give young people the voice, the space, and the support to take charge, not step in and take over and do the things because it happens slower than you want. She should be mentored, roles can be set (like you handling admin) and she should not be pushed to the side.

And I sense resentment at having to pay coaches. Coaches never get rich on softball.

I disagree with your sentiment and advice, but respect that you gave me your opinion.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am not in favor of the "ultimatum" idea. I agree with others that it seems like your mind is already made up. If that is the case my advice is probably pointless. If the new coach is 22 there is a chance she is overwhelmed by the situation. It is possible that the help and support of a 12 year rec coaching veteran may be just what she needs to succeed. Try to help each other for the betterment of all. If you and the other parents dont think it is worth the effort then pull the plug. Giving a time frame will do nothing but cause her to look over her shoulder after every decision or give someone else the excuse to say "see, we gave her a chance" Sorry for being so blunt. I do hope it works out for the players.

Added:
If you and the other parents do decide that the situation is beyond hope, move quickly. Explain the situation and move on. I believe that would be better for everyone involved.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
It is possible that the help and support of a 12 year rec coaching veteran may be just what she needs to succeed.

That's just it. I noticed early on--as did other parents--that she was overwhelmed and that is when I started pitching in to help her. That's the way I work. Others will b*tch and moan at the situation but I believe in action. It seems that the more I have helped the more complacent she has become. I have made it clear to her via emails and texts that I am willing to do anything to help her and the team but lately I'm the one doing all the "moving and shaking." Something's wrong with that.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Talk to her, face to face. You don't want it to look like a dad that swooped in and took a team away from the young ladies.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
Talk to her, face to face.

Thanks for your input, Amy. We plan on talking to her face-to-face. I don't believe in my heart it will change things but I've been wrong before and we are all willing to help her out as we've been doing since the beginning. The LAST thing I thought I would be doing would be getting prices on what it would take to run this team ourselves but I like to plan things out and this is a last resort contingency plan. It's as if there's a kind of resentment built up toward those who are helping her. We get one-word answers, vague plans, last minute notices and poorly-run practices. I feel she's probably a good AC but cannot handle leadership. And there's a big difference between the two.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors