If you heard this at a game, what would you do???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
I'd say, "What a maroon" in my best Bugs Bunny voice...and then I'd rush back here to DFP to tell everyone! :-D

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Umpires should have said..."well why didn't you say so, since you are a nationally know coach, I guess you won't be needing us" and both umpires walk off the field.....

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Sunday fall-ball league, 16U. ASA rules, ASA certified umpires.

Equipment check prior to the game, umpires pull 2 bats for "rattles".

At the plate talk, the very visibly upset head coach says something to the affect of, "I am a nationally known head coach, you're just a local umpire. You don't know what you are doing, you can't pull those bats". The bats stayed pulled.

Don't know if I would be able to hold back a little snicker............okay, you got me, it would probably be a hardy laugh. :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the one a couple years ago at the ASA 18U Eastern in PA where a coach insisted the PU change the BU's call because.....ready, he thought it was wrong. The umpire told him he couldn't talk to him about another umpire's call, but the coach insisted stating that he was an NSA umpire and knew that an umpire could overrule his partner! He wouldn't give it up and was eventually dumped just so they could move on with the game. That is when the umpires had a nice chuckle as the coach informed them, "you can't throw me out, I'm a minister!" Sometimes you just have to step back, appreciate whatever it is these coaches are smoking and move on.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Don't know if I would be able to hold back a little snicker............okay, you got me, it would probably be a hardy laugh. :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the one a couple years ago at the ASA 18U Eastern in PA where a coach insisted the PU change the BU's call because.....ready, he thought it was wrong. The umpire told him he couldn't talk to him about another umpire's call, but the coach insisted stating that he was an NSA umpire and knew that an umpire could overrule his partner! He wouldn't give it up and was eventually dumped just so they could move on with the game. That is when the umpires had a nice chuckle as the coach informed them, "you can't throw me out, I'm a minister!" Sometimes you just have to step back, appreciate whatever it is these coaches are smoking and move on.

Ditto for the coaches who have to work with umpires that disallow bats because they are slow pitch models!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Sometimes you just have to step back, appreciate whatever it is these coaches are smoking and move on.

Sometimes I think if we drug tested some of the coaches or parents, there would only be a handful of teams in the whole country. There is a fine line between passion and lunacy. Although sometimes it makes the price of admission worth while just to see it. :)

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Ditto for the coaches who have to work with umpires that disallow bats because they are slow pitch models!

Why not? SP coaches and players routinely whine about FP models in the SP game. :rolleyes:

But it is ludicrous either way and never understand what they are using as a rules reference, at least, in ASA. There are local organizations who have been conned into believing there is some difference in testing/approval when, in fact, there is none. Either the bat is approved or it is not approved for play.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
How about the umpire turning to the coach and saying, "You are welcome to hit with the bats....at home. Enjoy our evening coach we will be hear playing while you will not."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd