If Women's Softball.........

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Garcia will do well against everyone but, I predict she'll have the hardest time vs. Japan. Japan won't be intimidated by her velocity (they have Ueno) and like the USA team, Japan uses male pitchers for BP. Male pitchers can throw considerably harder with sharper movements. This will prep the Japanese for what the Americans throw at them. On top of that, Japan has seen Osterman and Abbott countless times. They have video, they have pitch patterns, and maybe a pick on each of them. They would ONLY have video of Garcia from ESPN. Japan did an amazing job in the last Olympic cycle to pay the top American players/pitchers top dollar to play in their league. While Abbott, etc. got good money to go play there, Japan used this to make themselves better. 2008 GOLD medal game is a case in point.

This isn't an "I told you so" situation but, I've been saying for YEARS that people should know there is another level beyond college. Moreover, there are other OPPORTUNITIES beyond college that soooooo many young players don't know about. Europe (for example) plays the same time of year as USA. College grads who would want to go play internationally do not have to be Rachel Garcia, Abbott, etc. to go play in Europe. To them, a very good D3 player would be the best player in Europe. Now.... is their "competitive spirit" going to be quenched playing in Europe? Probably not. Outside of Netherlands and Italy, there isn't a lot of top grade softball. But, countries like Denmark (for example) would give almost anything to have Americans come over to play, do some coaching, run some clinics, try to help schools introduce the sport, etc. From Denmark, it's a $100 flight to just about anywhere in Europe where someone can hop over to Rome for a weekend they have off or something. Then, in the winter, teams in NZ/Australia often have "import" players for a season or 2. Heck, I went to NZ for 9 or 10 years, and had 1 in Australia too.
Mr.B ~Way to blend travel advisory tips with softball 👍

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30