IF THE PITCHER

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2015
Lol...
its a simple post,
Doesnt matter what the pitcher is throwing,
its this
The pitcher has control and almost never throws fat strikes.

What would you do?
Would this even change your approach?

Long day for the other team. Go Small ball, maybe wait for the mistake and take advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If she is really good and on her game that day, you have to take an educated guess (or steal the signs). Try to watch for a sequence. Look for a certain pitch in a certain zone. If you guess wrong you still have 2 more tries. You might even guess she is going to throw a ball (waste pitch or a change the eye level pitch) and get caught looking. Really good pitchers are hard to hit.
Pet peeve of mine is when a pitcher throws first FB outside off the plate but ump is giving her the river. She does it to every batter. There is a definite pattern. Somebody has to get her toes on the line and swing at the first pitch and hit a gaper to RC field. You cant have every hitter fall behind because the ump is giving her the river. Giving a good pitcher strike one makes for a long day. You must adjust.

Jun 26, 2019
To tie this with another thread (also posted by Radcatcher) about hitpitches out of he zone:
Is this hypothetical pitcher one that you may not want to take a ball? If you are looking for outside edge ofhthe plate, amd she throws just off the plate do you take it? Or is that your pitch to hit? This is so much easier on the internet than in real life 😂😉

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
IF THE PITCHER almost never threw fat strikes, *because she has control...
👉What would you do?
👉Would this even affect your approach?
As a catcher...I am ecstatic if the pitcher can hit her spots most of the time because it makes my job easier.

As a hitter, it doesn't change a thing. I take pitches and look for something I can rip. I'll also foul off balls to see what she has in her repertoire. If I see something I can punish, I will.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Why would i bring up such a post?
Pitcher almost never throws fat strikes...because she has control.
It is because
When teams/players are trying to grow out of the ginormous humongous pile of average,
(simply developing to be competitive)
& even at the top...
👉Without a doubt
There will be
A DOMINATING PITCHER ('S)

While some mental hitting philosophy maybe fine for young developing levels, (where pitchers are trying to find throwing a strike)
it may not be the right approach against GOOD CONTROL.

*its simply something to consider!
Perhaps more can come in this thread of those who encountered batters having to grow approach stepping in the box.
To not be controlled by the pitchers dominance.

What are approaches to hitting?
Examples
1. Only swing at pitches in the zone
( aka only swing at strikes)
2. Be selective for certain only spot location of pitch
3. Let a strike go by, see a pitch first
4. Be aggresive all pitches need to be able to hit.
5. Its ok to get behind in count, there will be another pitch.
6. Its ok to swing at non-strikes.

(These examples... + add yours.
These mental approaches may need adjustments, or may not?!)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Why would i bring up such a post?
Pitcher almost never throws fat strikes...
It is because
When teams/players are trying to grow out of the ginormous humongous pile of average,
(simply developing to be competitive)
👉Without a doubt
There will be
A DOMINATING PITCHER ('S)

While some mental hitting philosophy maybe fine for young developing levels,
it may not be the right approach against GOOD CONTROL.

its something to consider!
Perhaps more can come in this thread of those who encountered batters having to grow approach stepping in the box.
To not be controlled by the pitchers dominance.
Somebody better go tell Ted Williams' head he was a developing hitter...you do know who Bob Feller was right?

Of course that was baseball so..

We get it..you were the Vlad Guerrero of fastpitch in terms of pitch selection. That doesn't work for everybody...

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
If the top of the top had jotted down what happened in their learning years, as children under 18...
Like what mistakes they learned from,
Maybe more helpful.

Unfortunetly only looking at what those elite do now mentally at the top does not teach, explain, how they came to do that...which includes bountiful training hours...
Hard to be relative because beginner skillsets do not have acute training.
(for that matter neither do a measurable amount of youth coaches)

Screenshot_2021-08-04-06-16-26.png

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Could bring this basic type question.
👉Is the same hitting strategy from
an all-star 12u rec team
Going to work at say the WCWS?

my answer,
Some might.
But not all.

Anyone care to help define that?!!

Jun 8, 2016
If the top of the top had jotted down what happened in their learning years, as children under 18...
Like what mistakes they learned from,
Maybe more helpful.

Unfortunetly only looking at what those elite do now mentally at the top does not teach, explain, how they came to do that...which includes bountiful training hours...
Hard to be relative because beginner skillsets do not have acute training.
(for that matter neither do a measurable amount of youth coaches)

View attachment 23407

Yeah I get it..you want everybody to agree with you that young hitters should swing at everything near the plate so they can learn to do this..you have already made about 3 threads about this..You asked a question people gave answers..you cannot change the question now when you don't like the answers..

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Yeah I get it..you want everybody to agree with you that young hitters should swing at everything near the plate so they can learn to do this..you have already made about 3 threads about this..You asked a question people gave answers..you cannot change the question now when you don't like the answers..
NO PATTAR THATS WRONG!!!!
i do NOT post wanting everyone to agree with me!!!!! Never needed as i appreciate diversity!!!!!!

I HOPE that people will think through topics on the discussion of softball!!!!!
Not just be followers!
Consider thinking things through!
👉To find what works best for the individual!!!!

👉Bringing up discussion from alternative perspectives can reach people differently.

Mr.P wether it is of interest to you is up to you!
What i notice is people who i never see post, and some who do,
Express appreciation for posts have shared on dfp.
Which is pretty neat to have positive emails regarding these type of topics sharing softball.
I as well appreciate reading others opinions and feedback about the game.
It helps GROW SOFTBALL

WHICH IS THE GOAL!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug