If someone tries to change your hitting style, what do you do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
What if it's your TB coach? 18U.

P.S. her swing was broken for a couple of weeks...she knows what she needs to work on to get her mojo back...so does her hitting instructor.

P.S.S. Her swing is rotational style. He wants linear.

P.S.S. This has happened before...her hitting went through all kinds of hell. We do not want to go down that road again.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
What if it's your TB coach? 18U.

P.S. her swing was broken for a couple of weeks...she knows what she needs to work on to get her mojo back...so does her hitting instructor.

P.S.S. Her swing is rotational style. He wants linear.

P.S.S. This has happened before...her hitting went through all kinds of hell. We do not want to go down that road again.

Their both right....
A good swing is both rotational and linear"....

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Their both right....
:rolleyes:

DD was trying to explain it to me...we looked at gifs here, and she said something about making adjustments for the pitch because obviously not every pitch is the same. She said she just needs to work on her hands and leveling her swing (I guess this is what JJS's recent post is all about LOL). So...she will work on fixing her swing the way she knows how, and will hope that he accepts it (esp if she hits like we know she can). Because if she's hitting, everybody is happy. LOL!

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
What does the coach mean by linear? What do you mean by rotational?

She knows. I don't. Sorry. She tries to explain, and my eyes glaze over. She said something about the position of the shoulders in the swing...rotational-shoulders move towards northeast and linear is east to west (or west to east I don't remember). But she said it was the direction your shoulders moved with your hips, and the shape your arms are in during the swing? I know I am not explaining what she said verbatim but that is all I remember. I just want to know what she should tell her coach...do you "fake it 'til you make it"? She loves everything about team/coaches, but this just threw her for a loop last night, and she doesn't want a repeat of what happened almost 2 yrs ago (took her almost a year to fix what they screwed up).

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
She knows. I don't. Sorry. She tries to explain, and my eyes glaze over. She said something about the position of the shoulders in the swing...rotational-shoulders move towards northeast and linear is east to west (or west to east I don't remember). But she said it was the direction your shoulders moved with your hips, and the shape your arms are in during the swing? I know I am not explaining what she said verbatim but that is all I remember. I just want to know what she should tell her coach...do you "fake it 'til you make it"? She loves everything about team/coaches, but this just threw her for a loop last night, and she doesn't want a repeat of what happened almost 2 yrs ago (took her almost a year to fix what they screwed up).

Sounds like team coach doesn't want the shoulders to open. East-west is fine for the stride/weight forward portion, while the bat remains vertical. Once the swing is launched, the shoulders need to open/rotate.

But that didn't answer the question. ... It's always a tough one. Just depends on relationship w/ coach. Nod and smile is fine, but if you keep getting push back, honesty might be the best advice. In a manner that might allow the appearance of compromise. Such as, ''My hitting coach agrees that I open my shoulders too soon sometimes, but he wants me here at contact.''

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
What you described sounds about right. She starts off east/west but it changes during swing and in sync with hips. We shall see how this progresses. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Good answer. :)

If you are struggling it is amazing how much advice you get, if you are doing great it is amazing how many people take credit and leave you alone. Guy taking League photos was giving DD hitting advice about her stance.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Is your DD going to play college softball? If she is and she knows where she is going to play I would suggest getting with her college coaches and asking them how they want her to hit. Then start working now towards that goal. If she does not want to play in college or does not know where she is going you have to make the best decision you can and move forward with it. I am not a hitting guru, so I am not going to offer an opinion, but from a pitching perspective, I would go with the paid instructors advice vs. a TB coach.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi