If it wasn't for the possibility of playing softball in college...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 10, 2020
dd's seeing televised college sports put that opportunity in their minds as small children. That and parenting talks about the importance of a college education introduced with the value of money and work ethic. Playing softball comes at a cost, as does college, they know to put in the work if they want the future goal.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Given the fact that exponentially more girls play on local travel teams than play on Super Elite Gold National teams, I don't think it's that big of a factor. Assuming you have any level of objectivity, most girls you see at a local/state/regional level are going to end up playing D2, D3, NIAL, JUCO...IF they make it that far. The scholarship money/opportunities at that level are very different, and shouldn't be a driving factor. Many girls could probably do quite well focusing on academic scholarships at D1/D2 schools as opposed to pursuing softball as a means to an end. IMHO, the girls do it because they love playing, and they love the competition, and parents support the girls because of the love of their kids and desire to give them the best they can. We're a pretty competitive 13U regional level team, and I haven't heard 1 parent talk about scholarships (yet). I'm sure that time will come, but I view that more as the outcome of all of the years of travel ball, not the reason that you start.

You might be surprised about the scholarship opportunities (not just athletic) at some of those levels. Ex-teammates of my DD are at D2 and D3 schools for pretty cheap, and NAIA schools on a full ride. Speaking with an NAIA coach at a showcase event, he said, "I have more money available than I can possibly spend". His biggest challenge was finding players who wanted to go to a small school in a small town, and met the eligibility requirements.

For the age of your team, there shouldn't be any scholarship talk. The idea of wanting to play in college is totally fine, however. A worthwhile conversation is talking about grades. For those girls who might have a desire to play in college, getting good grades in HS will make a significant difference in the opportunities that will be available for them. I spent the last 2+ years of my DD's playing time being the guy at showcase games talking to college coaches about our team, and who might be a fit for their school. The first 3 things the coaches look at on the team flyer...grad year, position, and GPA. We had a couple of good players that missed out on good opportunities because their GPA was lower than the standard for the school. Their playing skill was irrelevant.

A relevant story...One of the pitchers my DD faced in HS was a beast. She was one of those players who was clearly on a path to D1 level skills even as a freshman. It was puzzling to many of us on the outside that she wasn't getting a ton of interest from high-level D1 schools when she got into recruiting age. Late in her senior year, we learned that her grades were the stumbling block. She did finally find a place at a D1 school, but the amount of opportunities missed was pretty significant.

May 20, 2015
we for sure eventually left our smaller, local travel team (both girls player here, mostly on different teams.....both were successful and traveled throughout new england, but tuition was low/nonexistent.......teams just split costs of entry fees amongst them all) to go to a tuition-based, year round program to help them play in college

DD1 got into a solid academic D3, that is an upper mid-level program......she is going there cheaper than she would have gone to UMaine for......her grades being the big reason, but she is also a kid coming from a small town (2500 people......she graduated with less than 80) headed to Boston......she has teammates/instant friends, an excellent coach (she pushes this team much harder than a lot of D3s, and she really looks out for her girls), and she has the lifestyle she's become used to, with lots of practice, etc to help her manage her time......I'm not sure she heads off to Boston without softball; this school probably wouldn't be on her radar, and she wouldn't be seeing the success without the experiences she's had playing softball, and without the support system college athletics provides

for my 51st birthday last month I got a card from her where she essentially wrote "thank you for pushing me so hard athletically and academically, I wouldn't be here without that, and where I am is exactly the right place and there's no other place I'd rather be"

so was the financial investment worth it? was the investment in time we made worth it?

100%

Nov 23, 2021
SC
I was a former collegiate athlete and played a year of independent ball. I knew at 8U DD was a freak athlete. Been pushing her hard and she pushes harder on her own. I think college ball has been the goal for awhile and aligning with the best travel teams is the best route and will continue to be once shes to the recruiting time. The hard has been trying to relay that while you are very good you probably aren't the top .01% to make some money professionally, so choosing a school might need to be a career based decision not a softball one. It was very hard for me to get a job after school after playing ball year round and not having any internships or summer jobs. got a couple more years before major decisions need to be made so things could change.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I don't think she would have continued to play if college was not the end goal. Would have probably fell off early in HS. Let's face it, it is expensive to travel across the country and working that hard, attending summer 100 degree practices, no weekends, missing parties, etc. (both of us!) What's the point? I miss travel ball more than my DD. When we drive on certain highways, she says it gives her PTSD because that is the route to practice. It was work just to get to practice in rush hour traffic. She drove herself to practices starting her summer after soph year. Tues, Wed, Thurs 4-7pm during the summers.

Honestly, DD would not be at the school she is at now if it weren't for softball. Would of probably gone to UT-Austin as a student only. She did not get any money from her school(academically competitive), although she is getting $5K per semester from an outside foundation, which is super helpful. It all worked out.

Dec 19, 2021
Short answer: I doubt she would be travelling. Lots of teams in the area but because of Travel the best are concentrated on very few of the teams. We couldnt justify the travel cost just for fun and HS. She travelled for exposure and to play different teams. Now that she is verballed she travels to keep developing. She wants to play with and against the best.

Long answer:

DD started "Club" ball as we called it at the time mid 7th grade. There was no intent to travel. There are so many teams locally you really dont need to travel at 12u unless you are on the one or two teams that are crushing everyone else locally.

The goal was to get her ready to play HS. Her HS was in or near the state 6A finals seemingly every year and had a high talent level. JV was full of TB kids. We wanted to avoid being "that family" that travelled everywhere. By the time she was about to start the HS season her freshman year, we knew she had outstripped her club team and it was time to move up but we weren't sure who with yet.

Then she showed up at HS and instantly fit in with the college-committed girls and our world changed.

HS got her noticed and she got picked up by a great local org that has been fabulous for her. She went straight into the TB maelstrom and hasnt looked back. It has been tiring and costly, but she has been having a blast and is set for college now.

May 16, 2016
Remove college recruiting, and you wouldn't have to spend the same amount of money...

No recruiting camps and related travel.
No Showcase Tournaments and related travel.
I think fewer teams make trip to Nationals if college exposure is no longer a factor.

Apr 14, 2022
We at this time are not influenced by college. The sad thing is much of this is required to play at the high school level.

Original intent was to play req through 12u. Players began leaving for travel at 8u to the point competition was not great at 10u.

Where college may influence her is to the level of team to get noticed. I do not know if she will have that desire, but personal coaches say she has the ability. She will have to consider moves in the next couple of years to make sure that opportunity stays open.

Jan 28, 2017
DD is a Junior and has a few JUCO offers. She has never said she wants to play in college. She has never went to a showcase clinic (one JUCO camp}. She is a 4.plus student and has a prepaid plan so college is paid for. I ask her almost every year why do you do this if you don't want to play in college, because I want to win a State Championship in HS is her answer every time. He group won back to back State titles in Rec ball and are a really close group. I think she will play in college but I'm not sure and have never pushed it at all.

Today ran stadiums, a mile, and agility drills. Workout for about an hour. Pitched for an hour. Also finished a final. I wouldn't do it without a chance at the next level.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez