if a pitcher breaks her hand, what can she work on?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
U12 DD may have broken her hand tonight- will see a Dr tomorrow.
if she has injured it so that she can't pitch for awhile, do any of you know of exercises or drills to help her stay strong during her down time?

I figured we could work on running and one-handed hitting, but i am specifically interested in pitching because there is so much time and work involved developing a pitcher. She definitely won't be able to work her fingers or her hand. I hate the thought of her losing a whole season.

she was playing SS in a game that didn't mean anything. she dove for a sharply hit ball that hit her bare hand. she told me it was her fault because she reached for it with her bare hand and doesn't know why she did it. Hopefully she'll learn that line drives are not to be bare-handed.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would consult with her doctor on the time table for rehabing her hand, and I would strongly advise against trying to get her back on the mound too quickly. Losing one Spring season is much better than doing long term damage.

Sep 6, 2011
If she can't pitch/play softball. Work the core, legs. you will be amazed how much stronger and better she will return to the game. Amazing!!!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
As a former teacher, I would say "get her summer reading finished." I wouldn't be too worried about softball. In a couple of weeks, she may feel like some core exercises. Good luck. Maybe it isn't broke.???

Jan 25, 2011
like Amy said,and teach her how to keep score,if she doesnt know all ready.You can learn alot from sitting back and watching the game and even more so when you have to keep score.My dd is out for the year and is currently keeping score for the HS team and will be keeping score for her TB team.She is seeing the game at a whole new view,does she want to play?You bet ,but DR.S orders and her safety are first and fore most. Good Luck and dont be a crazy dad and get her out there to soon,a little time down,wont hurt her college chances;)

Oct 22, 2009
Keep her at the games and practices, let her help coach. Students learn so much when they have to put the shoe on the other foot.

My DD broke her finger her senior yr of HS in a play at 3rd. Pretty devastating. The finger was crushed, she was out for the season and we were already 1/2 way through undefeated with big goals of state after just missing out her Jr yr. Already given verbal to her college and not sure what her pitching future for college would be.

She spent the rest of the HS season as a team mentor helping keep them pumped to finish out the season with at least a play-off bid. As much as she hated not playing, she did everything else she could to motivate the team to carry on. It was then that she really got the coaching bug, and a ton of leadership abilities.

GET THE RE-HAB! Even if it's just a finger.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thank you all for the great response - Good News!

X-rays showed nothing broken so now we just wait and see how long it takes.

I'll teach her to do the book (which will make the assistant coaches happy) and we will work on her speed and one-handed hitting.
can someone point me to some core/leg exercises (youtube?) I could work on with her?
(Her summer reading is never a problem-she's a voracious reader.)

thanks again!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Thank you all for the great response - Good News!

X-rays showed nothing broken so now we just wait and see how long it takes.

I'll teach her to do the book (which will make the assistant coaches happy) and we will work on her speed and one-handed hitting.
can someone point me to some core/leg exercises (youtube?) I could work on with her?
(Her summer reading is never a problem-she's a voracious reader.)

thanks again!

Great news! Bet she won't try that move again. If she likes to read, knowing how to keep score is good and will keep her in the game, but its really only a coloring book! Give her a real book, the rule book(s) for the association(s) her games are played under. Who knows, if she takes to it well, she can post a concise piece explaining how simpletons like myself can maximize the use of the DP/Flex option!

Mar 7, 2012
PA
One of my pitchers had a wrist injury a little while ago. We did a lot of work with running, not for speed purpose but more to build leg strength. When she came back to pitching and is actually throwing harder. Another thing is let her sit with whoever is calling pitches during the game so she can learn and understand why certain pitches are called in which situtation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1