Ideal balls for 10U?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2014
Most of the 11", 375 lb .44 core (or is it 47 I always seem to confuse these) balls will all perform similar with hitting. The difference is usually how high the seams are for pitching.

You just want to be careful not to get the hot slow pitch softballs mixed in. I have some old "green dot 525 lb balls" and those are like rocks that fly a mile when hit right. I only use them for tee work or bunting.

Yea, I have some 44/525 slow pitch 11" balls I use for tee work also with the girls. These seem to break the bats in faster. No way I would these girls hit those balls at each other...lol...they are definitely Rocks!

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I think the 4 most common 11" leather fast pitch softballs I've found (I'm sure there are others) are
Worth -Dream Seam
Dudley - Thunder
Rawlings - Official ASA
Macgregor - Little League

All 4 hit about the same are fine for fielding/throwing practice but i agree with LAS the Dream Seam and Thunder absolutely have higher seams are much easier to throw movement pitches with.

Aug 19, 2014
The Rawlings balls seem to get cut up rather easily compared to the rest.

Yea, we used these balls before. They did seem to tear rather easily. I'm gonna ask at the meeting tonight if they prefer raised seams or not. All of you have been more than helpful. Thanks again and anymore info is still appreciated.

May 9, 2013
Lots of good balls out there. We use Dream Seam ASA/NFHS as that's what they use in Middle School/High School here. Sometimes there are different versions of each ball so be careful. For best game ball you'll usually see Leather Cover and Cork Core. The Cork Cores will usually not make a good practice ball as they will eventually get softer. A poly core normally keeps its characteristics longer and keeps its shape longer. The feel of the leather cover is great but also not as durable as a synthetic cover. Synthetic cover will last longer but usually gets pretty slick over time. Synthetic is usually cheaper than leather. I normally like leather cover/poly core for practice and leather cover/cork core for games. If you need to use game balls for practice you might want to use leather cover/poly core balls exclusively.

Aug 19, 2014
I think the 4 most common 11" leather fast pitch softballs I've found (I'm sure there are others) are
Worth -Dream Seam
Dudley - Thunder
Rawlings - Official ASA
Macgregor - Little League

All 4 hit about the same are fine for fielding/throwing practice but i agree with LAS the Dream Seam and Thunder absolutely have higher seams are much easier to throw movement pitches with.

I think we may go with the MacGregor. They are about $20 cheaper per dozen and can get free shipping on them. I wouldn't think the Worth would perform any better? I just have to ask at the meeting tonight if they prefer raised seams(worth) or the flat(MacGregor).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321