Ice & other care & maintenance issues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 19, 2009
My 12u dd is a pitcher who's brand spanking new to travel. She wasn't promised a spot in the top of the rotation going in but I've noticed at this early stage she's getting most of the work in practices and scrimmages.

My guess at this point is that she'll likely be the #2 pitcher going into our fall tournament season starting next week and I'm wondering what the post tourney maintenance program is for most active pitchers. The conventional wisdom is/was that a pitcher should keep their throwing arm warm (jacket on when in dugout, etc) during the day and when done for the day ice the elbow and shoulder and take some advil before bed. I remember reading here somewhere that icing isn't considered all that beneficial and possibly could possibly be damaging in some cases by covering up overuse.

What is currently considered the best practice? Please enlighten this newb, thanks.

Dusty

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Well, you are opening a hornet's nest...

The short answer: If your DD hurts after pitching, then you should ice her arm and shoulder because it will reduce the pain. BUT: she should also *REST* and skip several days of pitching. If your DD hurts after pitching, something is wrong. At 12U, pitching one extra game isn't worth the risk of injury. If she hurts bad enough to be iced, she shouldn't pitch again for several days, and you should look carefully at her pitching motion to make sure she is pitching correctly.

The longer answer:

For years, pitchers iced after a game. Somewhere along the line, someone asked, "Why?" It turns out there is no evidence of any benefit that magically comes from icing.

Coaches, parents and the athlete want the athlete to play the game. So, if an athlete complains of pain, the athlete is iced to reduce the pain, given some Advil, and then put back in the game.

Icing doesn't magically cure muscle strains or sprains. The only thing that cures muscle injuries rest.

As a full disclosure, both my DDs iced after games. They wanted to play. And, it is hard to argue with a 21 YOA woman that if she doesn't take care of herself, she won't get to pitch again, when she says, "Yes, but I'm done in 12 months anyway." At some point, perhaps it is worth the risk of permanent injury to play the game. 12U is not that point.

Feb 19, 2009
Uh oh, I hope I didn't inadvertently start the equivalent of a riseball thread.

We haven't iced to date and dd has never complained of soreness in her arm. On a couple of occasions this summer for her rec all-star team she said her legs felt tired after pitching a game and playing infield for two more in a tournament and the time she had to pitch both games of a double-header because her team was short-handed on pitchers. She discribed it as a general type of leg exercise soreness rather than a sharp pain in any joint so we went with her Rx for the problem which was ice cream.

Aug 2, 2008
I agree with everything Sluggers wrote. To add to it; The key to after activity care is to increase blood flow to the shoulder/elbow area. Increased blood flow removes lactic acid which builds up during athletic activity and supplies the area with much needed fresh, oxygenated blood. Some suggest jogging, light underhand throwing, light overhand throwing to cool down. Ice is o.k. in small doses. Ice increases blood flow initially (5 to 15 minutes) but then starts to constrict the blood vessels therefore decreasing blood flow which is not what you want. To mirror what Sluggers said, if you are icing to relieve pain then you have a whole different problem, what I suggested is only maintenance for a healthy arm. As for during the game, when the Olympic team played in Oregon it was 95 + degrees and between innings Monica Abbot had on a pretty thick coat. Must be important.

Mike

May 7, 2008
Tucson
There is a reason that MLB ices. They also wear jackets. My DD refused to ice. She hated it.

She was done pitching by age 16. The ortho doc said she should have used ice therapy.

I even encourage my students to ice after their lessons.

I also have catchers ice their arms and knees.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
First, I have skimmed the previous posts and so, forgive me. I have to ask, are we talking pain or sore? If your dd isn't getting warmmed up properly such as running and doing a dynamic stretch, then she might be setting herself up for soreness because she is not using her body properly. Pain is another totally different thing. DON'T PITCH. Please forgive me but do you know exactly where it hurts. That is important. Not where she says it hurts. I know that sounds stupid. However, I've often asked a player that and they say it's my shoulder. Then, I say show me. They start to point to muscle tissue etc. Joint and muscle = big difference.

I believe in icing the arm. I believe that there are other things to do as well. Do you have any knowledge of "Jobe Exercises?" If not, I like to have my pitchers do these before a "cool down run." Then, after all of that, they ice. So, it will be some time after and certainly they will have worked out some. Do you have access to "bands?" I also am a believer in band work before and after they pitch. This too can help. Still, I can't stress enough the "flush run."

I'd caution you that I'm not a doctor. If your child is in pain, get her to an expert. JMHO!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
MLB pitchers have 3 to 5 days rest between games--so, they have an opportunity to do RICE therapy.

But, girls often pitch 40 or 50 innings a weekend. Slapping a little ice on the arm between games on the weekend isn't going to help the main problem: over use of the arm.

Feb 19, 2009
Cannonball,

I'm not sure what you mean by "dynamic stretch", could you either describe it or post a link. I'd be interested to know what the best warm up & cool down rituals are.

Thanks,

dusty

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Cannonball,

I'm not sure what you mean by "dynamic stretch", could you either describe it or post a link. I'd be interested to know what the best warm up & cool down rituals are.

Thanks,

dusty

Dynamic Stretchs are those that are not static. In other words, stretches where players stand in a circle and stretch together have been proven to be virtually worthless. Dynamic stretchs would include those stretches such as stepping over the hurdle and then under the hurdle. I know this is confusing. Marc D. who runs this site has some "stuff" on dynamic stretches. Go search his Forum off of the main page. He has some great stuff there. If I find time, I'll post some other links.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish