I wonder how many Missouri recruits this will scare off?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
With the Clippers and Sterling, all the fact were on the table. Sterling was busted, and the Clippers reacted to it.

But in the Missouri case, it's an ongoing investigation. The Missouri players don't know all the facts. Their duty as scholarship athletes is to wait until all is said and done before they announce publicly that the athletic department is ''making up a false investigation'' and ''conducting a wholly unsubstantiated investigation.''

Nov 29, 2009
Lets say you have a successful business with a very trusted and successful supervisor. Now, the employees don't care for your supervisor and decide to refuse to work because they want to determine for whom they work.

Are you going to say, "sure, screw the guy who makes me successful, I'll just toss him and you can hire the next supervisor".

MTR, I have witnessed on multiple occasions where the "trusted" supervisor was a complete idiot when it came managing people. I deal with the service end of the automotive business. The worst case is a dealer I stop in which has gone through 70+ service advisors in 3 years. The same manager is still in place. The employees in the shop loath the manager. They do absolutely nothing extra to help the customers out. The only thing protecting the techs in a union contract.

There are others, but that one is the worst. Sometimes the "trusted" person can be doing more harm than good to the situation. I've seen other shops with new owners and the employees can't say enough good things about the new management. So it does work both ways.

As an employer, I would avoid hiring people with the mindset that they have a say in a business simply because they are employed.

Then you've got your head stuck in the sand. A happy, motivated employee can move a business ahead in ways that can and can't be measured.

Watched an episode of Undercover Boss a few years ago. The CEO of 7-11 went to the store that sold the most coffee in the country, even against stores with more foot traffic. The reason they outsold everyone was the lady who worked the coffee for the store was a super friendly woman who greeted and talked to the customers like they were friends. She knew about their families and other things. She made the difference with the customers.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
The NCAA has contended from the beginning that student athletes are absolutely NOT employees or anything related to employees. They are students who happen to be amateur athletes at that institution.

Unless the NCAA is a complete lie, the athletics departments at universities should exist to support the students and the university community. The coaching staff for a team should be mentors and instructors for the students, not their employers.

It is common for students, as members of a university community, to protest situations they deem deleterious to the students and/or the university community.

Viewing students as employees is wrong headed. Similarly, some view students as consumers. That is also detrimental to a learning community.

Jul 31, 2011
With all the shenanigans at Mizzou I am sure some recruits will be headed elsewhere. Only difference with this is that the softball team is actually good, where the football team is awful. Sounds like the inmates are running the asylum.
The football team won the Eastern division of the SEC two out of four years they have been in the SEC- I would say that was pretty good. This past year was a down year, but to say the football team is awful is plain wrong!

Nov 29, 2009
Bob, I think you missed the point. MTR was trying to use an analogy by comparing the students to people he would employ. He never said they were employees.

To answer the OP's question, I think something like this just decreases the potential pool of players for Mizzou. Of the thousands of freshmen to be collegiate softball players, a certain percentage for whatever reason will not be interested in attending Mizzou. Geographics, cost, academics, majors, dislike campus, what-not, there is a percentage that just simply are not going there. Then there was the CS1950-Click situation, which will certainly have affected some potential student-athletes, and will lower that percentage.

Throw in more uncertainty here, and yes, there will certainly be some lesser pool to draw from for whoever winds up as the Mizzou coach in 2017.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
MTR, I have witnessed on multiple occasions where the "trusted" supervisor was a complete idiot when it came managing people. I deal with the service end of the automotive business. The worst case is a dealer I stop in which has gone through 70+ service advisors in 3 years. The same manager is still in place. The employees in the shop loath the manager. They do absolutely nothing extra to help the customers out. The only thing protecting the techs in a union contract.

There are others, but that one is the worst. Sometimes the "trusted" person can be doing more harm than good to the situation. I've seen other shops with new owners and the employees can't say enough good things about the new management. So it does work both ways.

Then you've got your head stuck in the sand. A happy, motivated employee can move a business ahead in ways that can and can't be measured.

Watched an episode of Undercover Boss a few years ago. The CEO of 7-11 went to the store that sold the most coffee in the country, even against stores with more foot traffic. The reason they outsold everyone was the lady who worked the coffee for the store was a super friendly woman who greeted and talked to the customers like they were friends. She knew about their families and other things. She made the difference with the customers.

No arguments, but that wasn't part of my post. I understand keeping employees happy, been there, done that. But that doesn't include letting some of them take over the business just because they are not happy with a specific issue or individual

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
With all the shenanigans at Mizzou I am sure some recruits will be headed elsewhere. Only difference with this is that the softball team is actually good, where the football team is awful. Sounds like the inmates are running the asylum.

The football team won the Eastern division of the SEC two out of four years they have been in the SEC- I would say that was pretty good. This past year was a down year, but to say the football team is awful is plain wrong!

As you know in the SEC what you did last year or in the past along with a $1 will get you a Coke. My comment was not about the rich history of the program. Rather it was about their threat to not play a game while sitting on very poor conference record with most of their fans ready for the season to be over. Maybe if the football team had been focused on the task at hand rather than the on campus antics of some radicals they would have done better? The Mizzou softball team is doing quite well this year and was on track to host a Regional with an expected sweep of the Gamecocks. Interestingly on the day of this letter they took their eye off the ball getting only two hits and losing 3 -1 to SC. Not sure what the future holds for E and Mizzou softball, but one thing is for sure if he does leave, he will land squarely on his feet and any program will be fortunate to have him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff