I posted in the wrong thread.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My goal for my students, has always been quite different than that of their rec coaches. It seems that the only goal that the coaches have is to win. They want the pitchers to throw unhittable strikes with marvelous speed and location. The girls are 8-12.

I want them to stay away from the middle of the plate and not throw the same pitch 85 times, a game. I want someone to call a change up, quite often. With the 11/12 YOs, I want all of the pitches that she is working on, called.

It would be nice, if the coach knew that Batter Four hit the high and outside pitch, all the way to the fence, last at bat. But, they don't.

I would like for the pitchers to know that Batter Nine has not swung the bat, the last 2 times up and that the lead off always bunts. But, my girls can't possibly know that, because the coach doesn't know it.

When my DD pitched I looked for the coach that always had the girls, take the 1st pitch. I would then, relay that information to the pitcher. But, with me watching other people's kids, I have no business telling them anything during a game.

I have it all in my score book. Some parents want to see it the next day, because they are beginning to realize that throwing hard is not necessarily, the telling factor, when gauging success.

What percentage of strikes to balls, would the rest of you like to see? My girls generally are only issuing 1-2 base on balls, each game, so control isn't an issue. Pitch calling or lack of it, is.

May 17, 2012
At 14u "A" my #1 and #2 are throwing just above 60% for strikes.

My #1 is at 65% and she has a FIP of 3.06 which is pretty damn good.

My #2 pitcher is right at 61% and has had a good year.

My three and four pitcher are at 53% which results in too many walks, hits, and pitches thrown.

Those are my anecdotal stats. Hope that helps.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
There is a big difference between an 8 and 12 year old. I would like a 12 year old to be able to throw a strike at will.

Adding to your list though, I like the pitcher to nibble and be able to tell me what the umpire is allowing or not allowing.

(We should ask a Moderator to move this to the correct forum or are you looking for a fight to keep you entertained over the weekend. :))

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Encourage the pitchers you work with to play a higher level of ball.

A 12U pitcher with excellent control, and mastery of 3 pitches, could easily be playing 14A.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
FFS, Yes. I know that and I do look around for a team. But, I'm not the parent. :) We will see what school ball brings, in August.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Funny you should bring this up, Amy. I just posted a blog post about how winning shouldn't always be the focus at the younger levels. At least not if there is a long-term goal in mind. Too many coaches and parents only care about winning today. Which means they only want the pitcher who can throw strikes to pitch rather than the girl who gives up too many walks today but has the potential to be a great pitcher if given the opportunity to learn and grow. Just throwing strikes isn't difficult. Learning to throw them while giving maximum effort and using mechanics that will produce results at a higher level can be.

As long as the pitcher is putting in the work and getting better with each outing, it's worth taking some losses at these ages. Same for hitters or fielders who may be failing today but have a love of the sport, the drive to get better and the work ethic to make it happen. Of course, if all you care about is winning that $30 hunk of plastic, or having the locals think you're the greatest 10U coach in the area, then you do whatever you need to to win. But if your goal is to see your players develop and grow in the sport, and perhaps earn the opportunity to play at a higher level later, you give them that chance to make their mistakes today.

That is one good thing I'll say for rec leagues that limit the number of innings a pitcher can pitch. It forces teams to give other kids the opportunity. What they do with it after that is up to them.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Hitting corners is a huge emphasis of mine. We as coaches study each batter on deck and try to pick up her tendencies or mechanical break downs so that I can call the right pitch. We'll also see her past results to prepare the defence in that area. My kids are 10u and moving to 12u next month. All three of my pitchers are around average speed (45 mph+/-)
But hitting the high inside corner against a dipping caster at the plate is more important to me than throwing 55mph right down the middle.
We like to play pig or horse for pitching practice. Focus on hitting the called spot. If she puts one way off or dead red middle, it will count as a miss and she'll get a p.....
As far as strike percentages, they're ranging between 65-50% strikes, and more like 30% on the correct corner or pitch call. But like all kids there are good and bad days.....had a few this year when I'd be stretching it to say she hit 20%

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00