I need business advice.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am just the worst person at running a business or being in sales.

Here is my situation. I have 25 students. Some days are busier than others. Today, I was supposed to have lessons at 2:30, 3:15, and 4:00. The 3:15 cancelled this morning, giving me about 5 hours notice (they decided to go out of town.) I moved the 2:30 to 3:15, and then, the 4:00 cancelled (giving me 4 hours notice.) The mom had forgotten that it was HS graduation. So, I moved the girl that I had shifted around back to 2:30.

The 3:15 and the 4:00 were both brand new students.

Am I going to have to go to a registration process and insist that people pay by the month or something?

I decided not to go to the ASU games, so that I could get these new students in and also, my grandbaby's dad reworked his schedule, so that he could be home with her, while I taught.

At least, they called. Some do not.

Jul 26, 2010
Amy,

First of all, you need to charge monthly, at the first of the month. Once people have already paid, they are more likely to show up and be less flakey. Second, if they do not give you 24 hours notice, they do not get to be rescheduled. This isn't mean or draconian, it's simply business. You're not a charity, and while we know you do it out of love for the game, it isn't right that people take advantage of you. I know you mentioned that you caught half your lessons? Every PC I know insists that the student provide their own catcher, period, even if that catcher is mom/dad.

You may want to consider expanding and partnering with someone, perhaps a hitting coach that knows a bit of pitching, so the two of you can cover for each-other for needed breaks and if you get two students showing up at the same time. You can even take this a step further and bring your lessons to an academy type environment (or even starting your own?) where you can set up an online scheduling program and have several instructors, all teaching the same thing, able to pick up others students and be more agile to scheduling changes.

Sorry you missed the games ;(

-W

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Now, the 3:15 called and wanted her time back. "Her dad can bring her after all."

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I catch almost all of my students - at least 9 out of 10. Then, if they are struggling or if they are Little League boys, we just shift the lesson and start hitting.

Thanks for the advice. I will sit down over the week and and make some changes.

Oct 25, 2009
I would charge for half the cost of the lesson for less than 24-hour notice, due at the next lesson. That way they share some of the inconvenience and expense.

Jan 3, 2011
Depends On The Day
I would charge for half the cost of the lesson for less than 24-hour notice, due at the next lesson. That way they share some of the inconvenience and expense.

DD's hitting and catching instructors made it quite clear when we started with them that without a 48 hr notice for cancellation, we would be charged full fees if miss or cancel last minute. The facilities they work out of have it clearly posted.

Older DD is a Figure Skating Coach and she made an introductory letter that she gives to new students when they begin lessons and among other things it highlights a cancellation policy to deal with matters like you are having.

Mar 6, 2009
I agree with Starsnuffer. I would charge a monthly membership fee. Heck, you could even do it with Paypal and make it a subscription based service. I would charge actually slightly less as you know your income is more consistent. I would then also restrict the number of times per week they can schedule a time to work with you. Money collection will drive you crazy, but if you designed it via an automated subscription system, then you only have to worry about when they want to cancel the subscription. Because you have the money upfront, it puts the burden upon the consumer to get on your schedule. Then when you do have a cancellation it actually is a benefit to you.

Bill

Sep 17, 2009
Another idea is selling lesson packages. Sell no fewer than say 3 and offer volume discounts for more. After posting your cancellation policy, if someone doesn't show they lose a lesson in their package.

Good luck Amy!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I sell a package of 6 lessons for $110. But, they don't have to pay for a package. They can come for 1 lesson, if they want. A single lesson is $20.00. And, right now, there is no penalty for canceling. I am thinking of charging more for a single lesson.

All of this is good advice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish