I need a "bracket" pitcher? What exactly does that mean?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
If you want to keep pitchers (more likely parents) happy win, plenty of innings.
Bracket strategies are interesting. Sometimes with the top pitcher you regret letting them pitch an easy win, sometimes a perceived easy win in a loss and you wished they had pitched.
This is good to know, DD has not lost in 16 starts playing regional A, and open. May pursue a greater challenge if that continues. Assuming any team worth joining has established 1-2, probable means limited bracket particularly until established. Need to make sure she understands that.

Yup, who to pitch can drive one crazy. We purposefully went from a team where DD was P1 and getting lots of innings to a team where she came in P3 with a chance to move up. It was the right move. With 3 stud pitchers we win a lot, all girls get innings, all girls pitch in brackets. And we can swap out often as needed.

The move worked as designed, motivated her to work harder, and of course being on a better team has plenty of advantages. Her ERA and WHiP went down simply due to having a better defense behind her.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
I see this in message boards and rooms all the time. What actually does that mean? I coached travel for quite awhile, and never advertised that i wanted or needed a "bracket" pitcher? Do "bracket" pitchers not pitch in pool games anymore?

I tried to carry 4 pitchers on my squads (sometime only had 3) but they all pitched pool games and bracket games.

And if you advertise that you need to "fill out your roster with a bracket pitcher" what are your other pitchers, pool pitchers?

So please enlighten me on this "bracket" pitcher thing?????
Typically means that you are looking for a pitcher that is of the caliber to hold their own against teams in bracket play. In our area, pool games typically arent used to seed teams so you can pitch your pitchers that need game reps and let them work through things knowing the game doesnt count.

May 17, 2012
When I see that I think coaches are just trying to be straight with the parents/players in what they are looking for. When the coaches' (teams) expectations match the player's expectations life is good for both parties.

If you already have two stud pitchers then you don't need a "bracket pitcher".

I roll my eyes when I see "bracket pitcher" as well but I understand where that coach is coming from.

Jun 29, 2023
I live in a mid size city. I think I can tell you what every team in the area needs pitching wise at first year 14u. They can market that spot anyway they want.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
What you will never see at16u:
Looking for pool pitcher capable of eating innings
, BUT that might be exactly what the team needs. A pitcher that can finish games when a team has a lead is valuable if winning tourneys is the goal.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
, BUT that might be exactly what the team needs. A pitcher that can finish games when a team has a lead is valuable if winning tourneys is the goal.
That is a true statement. The other thing you will not see posted. Looking for a good pitch caller or looking for a coach who knows how to settle down a pitcher. I have seen so many pick-up bracket pitchers (players with a solid history of performance) who come in and are ineffective due to poor coaching.

May 17, 2012
Looking for a good pitch caller or looking for a coach who knows how to settle down a pitcher.

Do you think pitch-calling is a skill?

Why do I have to settle down a pitcher and not the right fielder?

Some people just aren't built to pitch, and that's the mental aspect of the game.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Do you think pitch-calling is a skill?

Why do I have to settle down a pitcher and not the right fielder?

Some people just aren't built to pitch, and that's the mental aspect of the game.
Yes, I think pitch calling is a skill.
Yes, I think knowing how to handle Pitchers and everyone on the field requires people skills that can be dependant on the personalitys of the players involved.
Coaches should know when to leave a pitcher on the field to work things out or when to pull them.
Some pitchers need pumping up and some need time alone. Good coaches get the best out of the talent they have.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
Starter or finisher need to hold down the fort!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi