I need a "bracket" pitcher? What exactly does that mean?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 9, 2021
I love that term! I think it has two meanings from my perspective. Often it is a coach that just wants a pitcher better than what he has to give them a chance in bracket play.

I also think it is a way of discouraging a new pitcher from trying to pick up as a guest player just to get some innings.

But if you’re the one that needs the guest pitcher you might have to take what you can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
I love that term! I think it has two meanings from my perspective. Often it is a coach that just wants a pitcher better than what he has to give them a chance in bracket play.

I also think it is a way of discouraging a new pitcher from trying to pick up as a guest player just to get some innings.

But if you’re the one that needs the guest pitcher you might have to take what you can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% agree. It differs some based on age, but in general...

By using the term "bracket pitcher", I think it accomplishes a few important things:

1. Discourages beginners from wasting their time and the coaches' time with conversations and work-outs/try-outs.

2. Makes better pitchers and their parents perk up a bit about the opening. Makes them feel special and think they'll be used a lot and a star on the team. I do think it gets more of the right pitchers attracted to the idea of joining the team in many cases.

3. Might even help put some of the current team pitchers on notice. This might sound harsh, but some girls are better off quitting pitching and focusing on other positions. And deep down, they and their parents know this. They aren't putting in the time in many cases, aren't improving, and probably need to hang it up.

I see tons of "ads" saying "Need pitching" or "looking for a pitcher". I see more that don't say "bracket pitcher" than do. And my assumption is that these teams need and want pitchers of a lower level to help pitch with the knowledge that they have the opportunity to grow and succeed and pitch bracket games when they're ready. Sometimes teams have P1 and P2 locked up and need P3 or P4.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
You don't need to waste your time at our practices, part of your weekends are free, just show up on Sunday, do your thing, and get a medal.
Ok, maybe a little cynical.

Apr 14, 2022
Wouldn’t you want every pitcher to be a bracket pitcher? Really tough to win a lot of tournaments riding 1-2 pitchers for 4-6 games on Sunday.

Oct 4, 2018
Wouldn’t you want every pitcher to be a bracket pitcher? Really tough to win a lot of tournaments riding 1-2 pitchers for 4-6 games on Sunday.

Depends on the tournament. I see tons of teams using 2 pitchers for most of the bracket games.

Games last 3-4 innings often. You don't win them all. Some Sundays you only play 2 bracket games. Get a big lead, let P3 finish the game. Honestly you can have 2 bracket pitchers and have them go home after a tourney wishing they had pitched more. Yes, the double elimination loser bracket death march can be tough, and you'll need 3-4 pitchers to get through those to make the championship game.

May 13, 2023
If signed up for the appropriate tournament~
( development level and talent)
Pool play should include playing against at least one team of equal Talent. And potentially playing against at least one team that is better than your own.

The pitching staff needs to carry their weight on Saturday to make it to be able to carry their weight on Sunday.

Apr 14, 2022
Depends on the tournament. I see tons of teams using 2 pitchers for most of the bracket games.

Games last 3-4 innings often. You don't win them all. Some Sundays you only play 2 bracket games. Get a big lead, let P3 finish the game. Honestly you can have 2 bracket pitchers and have them go home after a tourney wishing they had pitched more. Yes, the double elimination loser bracket death march can be tough, and you'll need 3-4 pitchers to get through those to make the championship game.
If you want to keep pitchers (more likely parents) happy win, plenty of innings.
Bracket strategies are interesting. Sometimes with the top pitcher you regret letting them pitch an easy win, sometimes a perceived easy win in a loss and you wished they had pitched.
This is good to know, DD has not lost in 16 starts playing regional A, and open. May pursue a greater challenge if that continues. Assuming any team worth joining has established 1-2, probable means limited bracket particularly until established. Need to make sure she understands that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01