I must be nuts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
At a suggestion of a friend I've taken up scoring to better learn the stats. I obtained my Level 1 a couple of years back so am doing Level 2 in a couple of weeks. I've been sitting with a friend and scoring her team and OMG it's SO HARD! From the colours to the stats and what counts as an at bat. I'm also very harsh at giving errors too apparently :) I do enjoy it though, shows me a whole different side of the game, but still am slightly crazy. Will not be able to do a lot in the summer season on account of both coaching and playing, but my friends club has already said they need scorers for next season :) Think I'll need to find some time in the summer as well to keep practicing.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
HC knows I will help with anything but keep score. I hate it and will not do it. :)

So yes I think you are crazy but good for you working on a new skill. Sounds like you are enjoying it.

Mar 13, 2010
So yes I think you are crazy but good for you working on a new skill. Sounds like you are enjoying it.

I am, but hadn't realised how hard it would be. I scored for our C2 ladies this year but that was without colours. I was going to do it without colours for a couple of weeks but was told in no uncertain terms that if I wanted to learn from her I was scoring with colours! Only realised on Sunday that I hadn't been using them fully correctly (when you're doing arcs they're meant to be in colours too? I was just doing them in pencil. Ugh)

Sitting here doing the stats now (thankfully this is not something I need to know for level 2 but doesn't hurt to do them now. Just not during a game)

Will need to see if we have any baseball on and maybe try and score that. Or download some softball games. I was going to do some from the KFC World Cup but the video was atrocious and could barely see where the ball was hit so that was out.

Jul 26, 2010
Scoring is what saved me when I made the transition from coach to parent of my oldest daughter (a pitcher). Keeping my head in the book and paying attention to the entire game kept my focus off of what I may have said otherwise if I wasn't kept busy ;)

Grats on adding yet another skill to your arsenal Lozza. Even if you can't keep score all the time, now you're able to teach it to other people, which can be even more valuable.

-W

Mar 13, 2010
Grats on adding yet another skill to your arsenal Lozza. Even if you can't keep score all the time, now you're able to teach it to other people, which can be even more valuable.

Hopefully! I was asked if I wanted to do my level 1 umpiring as well but even I have my limits! I obtained it at 14 years old (90% pass mark, the umpiring association thought I must have cheated. Redid it, 91%) and can do a decent plate (as a pitcher I have a very good strike zone) but have zero interest in ever becoming a blue.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
Of course you are crazy, we all are. Heck just the title of the webpage lets everyone on the world wide web know we are crazy ;-P

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
As a pitcher dad I started keeping a scorebook for DD's stats. I now do it because if I don't I have no clue where they are in a game and it keeps me busy enough to keep my mouth shut.

I have learned a lot about the game of softball by learning how to keep the book.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Oh, my. I fear that you are noting so much more about the game than I can. Colours and arc? I don't know about that.
If there were levels of training to take in my area, I would.

I started scoring for my DD's HS team and learned a lot. So many people just draw a line and indicate the outs, but the coach wanted to know if Suzie ran from 1st base to 3rd base, who hit the ball for her to get there. I sometimes stuck stickies to the page, if something odd happened, that I couldn't note.

She had a neat way of just keeping a running score book on a piece of paper, like a blank calendar. She didn't move across from inning to inning, just drew a line and kept going. I loved it, until the ump or the other score keeper needed to see my book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi