I must be nuts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

It's too freaking complicated for somebody of my mental prowess. I prefer to use iScore or Game Changer. We keep it on a phone or a tablet at the field and it keeps track of everything.

Now, my goal starting this fall is to keep my own book so I can keep track of DDs stats more accurately. It should be a good time. :eek:

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Please let me know if there are guidelines and suggested fees for changing a PB to WP or an E to a hit or vice versa.

HS coach does summer tryouts for next year's season, we are doing them now. When I got there a guy was standing on the top row of the bleachers pacing back and forth. I asked a friend, "who's that"? "Incoming freshman catchers dad", he said. I shook my head.

Then I moved around the press box and saw another nut pacing back and forth right up next to the backstop. Again asked my friend, "who's that"? "Incoming freshman pitchers dad".

If I'd had some beer and popcorn I could have watched that funny stuff all night. I thought about going home and getting my radar gun that is UNDER about 5 mph and REALLY having some fun. But I didn't. :(

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The HS near me, has closed try outs. I was walking my GDD around there and the coach asked who I was. Then, I walked further and saw a couple of parents out in the parking lot, trying to see. Gosh, if the coach said don't come, I don't think that watching from a hidden destination is acceptable.

Don't be so quick to shun umpiring! I've been umpiring for three and a half years, love the camaraderie that comes with it, especially at tournaments. I'm off to the Pan Pacs in November and am really excited.
Scoring is something I can do (no colours though haha) but it just never really interested me :) I'd rather be out there.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Obviously, a different time.

In the 50s & 60s, every program at a major or minor league ballgame came with a blank score sheet, pencil and instructions and glossary of indicators. Many would keep their own scorecard for the game. Just part of the experience and memories to be had later.

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
I try to keep the fact that I know how to keep score a secret, but DD has let it slip on occasion so just when I'm ready to sit back and enjoy a game some coach shoves a scorebook and pencil in my hands.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I got caught a couple of tournaments ago... lol I guess the coach didn't really like how I scored cuz he hasn't asked again. I would imagine not giving SB to players who go to 2B on DI, or all the WP, or the E's I gave out that Tournament didn't help. :)

Mar 13, 2010
Obviously, a different time.

In the 50s & 60s, every program at a major or minor league ballgame came with a blank score sheet, pencil and instructions and glossary of indicators. Many would keep their own scorecard for the game. Just part of the experience and memories to be had later.

I remember doing that at Panpacs in '94. It was very basic 11 year old scoring but I kept score!

I got interested at nationals this year. I roomed with the statistician and she explained it to me. She's the one helping me.

Regarding whether it's a E or WP or PB is up to the scorer. I love the power of the stats!

Softball Australia always have fantastic resources. We have one national body here with each state having a body and SAL control everything regarding accreditation. The umpires control themselves but they are still under the national and state bodies.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I remember doing that at Panpacs in '94. It was very basic 11 year old scoring but I kept score!

I got interested at nationals this year. I roomed with the statistician and she explained it to me. She's the one helping me.

Regarding whether it's a E or WP or PB is up to the scorer. I love the power of the stats!

Softball Australia always have fantastic resources. We have one national body here with each state having a body and SAL control everything regarding accreditation. The umpires control themselves but they are still under the national and state bodies.

I know, which is why I was trying to get a read on the going rate in Australia for preferential scoring so that I can make an informed decision as to whether I should move there or not.

Seriously, scoring must be done objectively and consistently or else the resulting stats are of no use. While its easy to use and interpret your own scoring system, it does become more of a challenge if you need to use a system that can be understood universally. And even more challenging if you're trying to document pitch-by-pitch results (i.e., P1 - FB ball, P2- FB missed swinging strike, P3 - CU fouled straight back, etc)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi