I literally turned a win into a loss fior my team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Obbay obviously cares and feels he let the girls and parents down. I have had the same restless nights many times after a tough loss. Sure its a game, but I am sure Obbay wanted the win or tie more for his team than for himself. We had an arch rival in our league that had beat us for three straight years. The last lost that we had to them was one in which they came back from three runs down to win in the bottom of the last inning with my DD pitching so I know how you feel and sympathize.

I don't think I implied he didn't care and yes I have replayed games trying to find where I/We lost it and then my wife pointed out that the kids didn't lose sleep over it so I should try not to as well. Reflect on the game, make some notes spend some additional BP time with the lower half of your order so you can manufacture a run when you need one and move on.

May 8, 2009
Florida
Obbay, this just shows you care. That says a lot. Whether or not you felt your team was toast really doesnt matter, they played on. I gave that choice to my team after a particularly brutal weekend. Down in the lower bracket quickly and crawling back. We had a broken finger, both catchers had bruised hands, everyone was tired. We played nine games that weekend, I dont remember at what point on Sunday I called them together and let them decide whether they wanted to go on. Everyone wanted to play it out. One of those weekends I remember more than the "good" ones. I'll bet your girls didnt want to go home with a tie either. I would bet they would have played on too. You didnt blow anything, you coached them to fight on.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
In softball it's better to lose than to tie. Ending with a tie would have been giving up! You gave the kids a chance to win!

Tie games should be outlawed. A tie game means both teams lost!

My DD told me that when she was 8 after a soccer game

A tie is like both teams losing because neither one won.

May 13, 2008
How pumped would you and those 13 girls been had you won?

Nobody ever achieved greatness playing for a tie.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Nothing makes me madder than a tie or draw. I'd rather get run ruled than tie, at least that way I know who was the better team.

A couple times in other states we "tied" another team in a pool game, and dang it we never got to settle that match. Just never saw them again playing through the brackets, and probably will never see that group again. Games like that bother the heck out of me. :(

You did the right thing.

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
The lesson here MAY be to try to manage your time as the game goes along, providing you have that comfortable lead. Not necessarily stalling, but taking a little more time between each inning talking to the players, the umpires, etc. It's an art form and a part of the game.

Jun 24, 2011
I hate to sound rude, bad or whatever BUT your the coach and coaches make decisions that can help a team win or indirectly cause a team to lose. It's part of your job, don't feel bad ... move on and keep your head up.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
thanks for the comments. I was feeling bad because of who the other team is, we had just lost another important game in our previous game, the fact that we shouldn't have let them get so close and that my team really needed to "not lose" that game. In the end I learned to pay more attention to games that are more important and the team just took it in stride. they bounced back and we all moved on

Last edited:
May 1, 2011
To Quote a very good friend of mine:

" A tie is like kissing your sister. Sure, it's a kiss, but it really doesn't count for anything." I can't stand a tie. Good for you for playing it out and giving some girls a chance to make a difference.

Josh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1