I feel stupid so help me out.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
So the only seasoned pitcher that I have this year will finally become eligible next week sometime. I am somewhat happy but confused as well. She went to a pitching coach that teaches a style where the girls he has taught look like they are bowling, I mean they bend over at the waist and actually "Throw" the ball almost in an over hand type motion. I have been told that many of his students have shoulder problems. Is this proper? do a lot of people teach this? Is it better than what I teach? I teach basically John gay type pitching whipping the arm. I guess people flock to his clinics and seem to think he is really good. Now while I have never even seen him I disagree with what I have seen that he teaches. But again I guess I just don't know.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If the pitcher is working with a private instructor that her parents are paying for, don't try to change her - especially if your style is significantly different than what she is learning. Conflicting instructions are likely to cause confusion in her delivery, and a drop-off of performance. Keep your decisions regarding circle time related to performance/results, not whether or not you agree with their mechanics.

As for what is "proper", reference what the best in the game are doing. Are you teaching what the top pitchers actually do? If you are, then you're on the right track. Based on your description, bending over at the waist and "bowling" is not something I'm seeing at the highest levels of the game.

Sep 29, 2014
Just check out this threads videos and pictures and you can see you are on the right track

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/27534-inside-outside-hip.html

I had not heard of John Gay and for those that have not I found this youtube clip. Says he is 70 yrs old and he is still throwing the ball. Just look at the smooth whip motion like he has never lost a beat, probably would not recommend the behind the back one for beginners but he is a hoot, and yes just from the looks of it I would have no problem following what he saying.

Jun 13, 2010
If the pitcher is working with a private instructor that her parents are paying for, don't try to change her - especially if your style is significantly different than what she is learning. Conflicting instructions are likely to cause confusion in her delivery, and a drop-off of performance. Keep your decisions regarding circle time related to performance/results, not whether or not you agree with their mechanics.

As for what is "proper", reference what the best in the game are doing. Are you teaching what the top pitchers actually do? If you are, then you're on the right track. Based on your description, bending over at the waist and "bowling" is not something I'm seeing at the highest levels of the game.

I guess I didn't clarify in my post. I have no intention of trying to change her. I respect the right of someone to go to whoever they wish. I was just curious as to what is being taught is all. I have her warm up according to what she has been taught and I don't instruct her as I wouldn't want someone messing with one of my students. Im just trying to learn all I can.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Sorry to report that John passed away a few days ago. Vancouver Girls Softball Association had just held a Hall of Fame induction banquet for him the weekend prior. Many great stories, warm memories and success stories were shared. The banquet was video taped and John was able to view it. He was an amazing man, mentor and teacher of the game. He will be missed and fondly remembered by many....

JG.jpg

Sep 29, 2014
I guess I didn't clarify in my post. I have no intention of trying to change her. I respect the right of someone to go to whoever they wish. I was just curious as to what is being taught is all. I have her warm up according to what she has been taught and I don't instruct her as I wouldn't want someone messing with one of my students. Im just trying to learn all I can.

Sounds like you are on the right track...as@eric f said as a HC you can only go off her performance...can she hit spot and get more outs than the next pitcher? if so she is your #1. Now that does not mean she is pitching anywhere close to correctly but she is just pitching better than anyone else you have. [MENTION=10217]Ken[/MENTION]B Sorry to hear about John seems like he was just a great guy.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Just check out this threads videos and pictures and you can see you are on the right track

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/27534-inside-outside-hip.html

I had not heard of John Gay and for those that have not I found this youtube clip. Says he is 70 yrs old and he is still throwing the ball. Just look at the smooth whip motion like he has never lost a beat, probably would not recommend the behind the back one for beginners but he is a hoot, and yes just from the looks of it I would have no problem following what he saying.

At about 75, he threw that behind-the-back rise that about took my head off!

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal

It sounds like you're already a step a head of many HS coaches who insist on "fixing" everyone.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Some truth to that. When DD 3 changed TB teams, her PC immediately asked if the coaches on her new team would try to "fix" her pitching. I assured him they would not. The team's AC knows that PC very well, and had a DD play OF for a TB team that PC ran for a couple of years. (My DD 1 was on that team for a few months as well). AC at least won't try to "fix" what one of her favorite coaches teaches.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Interesting this was posted as it relates to what I just messaged Javasource. I have 3 pitchers, 1 who will be my starter due to the fact she is the only one who has a chance at hitting the strike zone. (high school modified team, best pitchers went to varsity this year) She's HE and that's where she's going to stay until off season. Go with what you have and work hard on defense and hitting. A 3 legged stool in nice but often times 2 legs will get you a W.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan