I (coach) cost us a game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
Many years ago when my son was playing travel baseball we were in a tournament that allowed the use of a DH and courtesy runners for pitcher and catcher. The opposing coach used the DH for the catcher. Later in the game the DH got a hit and the coach asked for a courtesy runner for his catcher. Ump allowed it and I missed it. Fortunately my score keeper had my back. I challenged the substitution, won, runner out. Since then I have always made sure I have an experienced score keeper, they make us coaches look so much smarter at times.

Apr 12, 2010
I always thought the courtesy runner was BS, if your tough enough to go to the plate, run the bases.
That being said, when coaching, I will use it if I can get a faster runner on the bag, but I would be fine if they did away with it.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
Coach is just another position on the team, and you have errors just like the rest of the players. You can always keep going back farther, as in maybe if whats her name at second had stopped that grounder instead of it going past her, we wouldn't have had a runner on third to score. etc. etc. You just learn from your mistake and move on to the next one to learn from!

I coach 8u rec, and I have a real bad habit of starting to pull back when we are really shelling another team. Then I'm shocked when they start drilling in runs in the last inning and all the sudden it's not so comfortable anymore.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
Been there! Did your wife come up and ask what you were doing?

Oh Yeah!!! Shes the manager on the team, so she is usually giving me grief about it from the dugout while I'm basecoaching. "You better start sending those runners." I reply with "Don't tell me my business devil woman." Then later as I sit with my head in my hands, wondering how this is happening, I hear "bet you wish you would have pushed those runners."

DISCLAIMER: I dont actually talk to my wife like that. I'm much tougher on the internet! :) But other then my witty comment, the rest is pretty accurate.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have added your name to the list of men on here that should listen to their wives. We will listen to you in baseball if you will listen to us in softball. ;)

Mar 13, 2010
What is this courtsey runner for?

We have speed up for catcher, if there's two down, the catcher comes off and we get to put the last runner back on for her. Its purely for speed though. (as a pitcher I'd have LOVED a courtsey runner)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LINBAN01