I am gonna change it

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
Our HS head coach does static warm ups pre game and pre Practice and has always wanted th JV team to do the same. Well our teams start real slow So I asked if I could change my warm ups. He said yes amazingly. So I am gonna go more Dynamic and see what happens. I have wanted to do this for years now with the go ahead I will start right away.

I feel like it IS BROKE so I will try to fix it.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Our HS head coach does static warm ups pre game and pre Practice and has always wanted th JV team to do the same. Well our teams start real slow So I asked if I could change my warm ups. He said yes amazingly. So I am gonna go more Dynamic and see what happens. I have wanted to do this for years now with the go ahead I will start right away.

I feel like it IS BROKE so I will try to fix it.

Good news Wild Man. Keep fighting the good fight.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Even Candrea lets the girls stand and stretch. Why? He told me that the girls want to. He gives them 10 minutes. So, I bet your Varsity coach would even be happier if you give the girls their 10 minutes and then you move on to your other warm ups. What I am saying is don't show the Varsity coach up, too much. Good luck.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Even Candrea lets the girls stand and stretch. Why? He told me that the girls want to. He gives them 10 minutes. So, I bet your Varsity coach would even be happier if you give the girls their 10 minutes and then you move on to your other warm ups. What I am saying is don't show the Varsity coach up, too much. Good luck.

IMO, the ladies like to talk and catch up on what's new since the last texts and its much easier during static than dynamic warm up. If it makes them happy and serves as a transition into dynamic warm up and focussed practice time then I think its a win-win.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Right, Greenmonsters. This may be another phenomena, that happens in softball and not baseball. I never had to give little boys time to transition to baseball practice.

Oct 18, 2009
IMO, the ladies like to talk and catch up on what's new since the last texts and its much easier during static than dynamic warm up. If it makes them happy and serves as a transition into dynamic warm up and focussed practice time then I think its a win-win.

This is something that makes a lot of sense actually. I never saw it that way before. We took away the static stretching and went only dynamic warm up. I feel like the girls miss that.

Besides time constraints, any reason why I shouldn't bring static stretching back in before dynamic warm up?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Yes. Static stretching turns the nervous system off. You want to turn it on, not off, before they have to go out and perform.

Why not just incorporate "social time" into the pregame plan without the stretching? Tell them to be there 10 minutes earlier if they want to stand/sit around and chat. They can do it while they change shoes, get their equipment out, etc.

Another approach is to let them chat during pre-game/practice throwing. As long as they're focused on good throwing mechanics a little talking shouldn't hurt anything. I'm told that's what a lot of the college coaches do.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma