I am a bad softball mom.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
I believe the freshman pitcher who did come out for softball is having second thoughts and thinking of going out for v-ball next year. Today DD said if she was any good at v-ball, she might do the same. It seems as though last year the senior girls shielded the younger ones from a lot of the 'jerkiness' of the coach. The girls aren't very happy.

I have suggested that she should try golf. I'm sure her powerful swing could be re-purposed and it's something she could do her whole life. So far, she's got zero interest.

Sep 29, 2014
Well we had 2 1/2 pitchers last year for varsity and JV, my DD was the utility player who seemed to do everything except pitch (the JV MVP). Varsity had 9 or 10 returning juniors, which means this year there will be 9 or 10 returning seniors chances are slim to none anybody but some super stud transferring in has any chance to crack varsity roster, politics are very hard and seniority is paramount. So DD will play JV again next year and I will be at every game again this year (I did miss one that was an hour away don't even ask how that's in our district). The year after that I have no idea what they are going to do they will probably step on the field with only 3 or 4 girls who have ever played a varsity game and then only in a couple garbage innings it will be painful but I'll be at all those games as well. HS ball is what it is and you just have to roll with it.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Varsity had 9 or 10 returning juniors, which means this year there will be 9 or 10 returning seniors chances are slim to none anybody but some super stud transferring in has any chance to crack varsity roster, politics are very hard and seniority is paramount. .

You never know. Somebody might decide not to play, or somebody might get hurt, or somebody might get in the coach's doghouse, or coach might hang up the whistle, or get an assistant who has influence and a different idea. I have a friend whose daughter is a sophomore, and he thought she'd start on varsity this year. Instead, she's about the #11 player, and after playing a fair amount the first 10 games, the coach had more or less settled on a starting 9. She was bench-sitting w/ no end in sight. He also fretted that a rising freshman next year is a stud and sure to start in the infield, keeping his DD out of the lineup through eternity, and that she should consider doing something else with her life, there was no avenue to playing time. Then, a starting infielder got concussed in a collision, out 3-4 weeks, and DD is suddenly the starting second baseman, the team is hot, and everyone's having a blast. Who knows where it's headed.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
DD's HS team is playing across town in a tournament today and I decided not to go. The season is young, but they have yet to win a game. In fact, they were playing to determine who would be the absolute last place team in the tournament and who would be the next to last place team in the tournament. =:-O

Your not a bad softball mom. You could be a lot worse than missing a few games. Between school ball, summer TB, and fall TB my DD probably plays between 80-100 games. DD's biological mother (I call my X that when I want to make her angry or I call her my first wife and I don't have a second wife) probably sees about 8 games a year and I'm probably being generous. Trust me, you are awesome!

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
"Is it wrong of me to hope that she does not get her letter and will have to watch all the freshman softball players waltz by with their new jackets this winter?"

Yes

Apr 1, 2010
"Is it wrong of me to hope that she does not get her letter and will have to watch all the freshman softball players waltz by with their new jackets this winter?"

Yes

LOL, that's what I was thinking. As the season progresses, I'm hearing more than I did last year and am starting to realize that if she had lines of communication with other players, she may well have heard enough to shy away even though she had never played for the coach. The team certainly could have used all the travel players it could get, however. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00