HSFPSB data

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 30, 2013
Been working on a little project for HS baseball, and I thought I’d go ahead and take a look at HSSB as well. The 1st page of the attachment shows all the HS teams I could find in the US and who played more than 5 games. The 2nd page show all team regardlessof the number of games they showed as having played. I don’t have Iowa because I’d have had to do them 1 team at a time and the time necessary would have been far too monumental for me by myself.

It doesn’t mean a whole lot, but it it’s interesting to look at. ;)

View attachment 2104hssb.pdf

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Been working on a little project for HS baseball, and I thought I’d go ahead and take a look at HSSB as well. The 1st page of the attachment shows all the HS teams I could find in the US and who played more than 5 games. The 2nd page show all team regardlessof the number of games they showed as having played. I don’t have Iowa because I’d have had to do them 1 team at a time and the time necessary would have been far too monumental for me by myself.

It doesn’t mean a whole lot, but it it’s interesting to look at. ;)

View attachment 6399

What was the project? how to confirm that in a closed system everything reaches equilibrium barring outside inputs? :) Just messing with you sort of, how does showing that all states basically have a .500 win percentage and runs allowed basically equals runs scored on a state by state basis show us anything?

Sep 30, 2013
What was the project? how to confirm that in a closed system everything reaches equilibrium barring outside inputs? :) Just messing with you sort of, how does showing that all states basically have a .500 win percentage and runs allowed basically equals runs scored on a state by state basis show us anything?

The project was to see if I could apply some things I leaned in a Sabermetrics class I took, to HS baseball. I needed W’s, L’s, R, and RA in order to plot 6 different runs estimators against WPct.

Unfortunately, unlike MLB, there is no mandatory data entry for HS sports, so the results are all over the place. The closest I could come was using MaxPreps, and even there many teams don’t put in anything or put in only partial information, and there is no validation process to anything input.

If I did the same thing for MLB data, things would look a lot different. Mainly the overall WPct would come out to .500 because there aren’t any ties in the ML. They also all schedule the same number of regular season games, unlike in HS sports where literally every state has different rules about the number of games, and every state is further limited by the weather.

As for what you GET out of the information, I suppose it depends on what you’re looking for. This attachment shows all teams that scored more than 10 runs per game and played more than 20 games. Not that it means anything, but if a team’s name shows up on that list, chances are they one of the better HS teams in the country.

The whole things about the project is, once I have all even those few data points for each team, I can look at a lot of different things. No, none of it is very important, but to those who get a hoot out of the numbers like I do, it’s fun to look at. ;)

View attachment 2014HSSBRPG.pdf

Jan 24, 2014
Michigan
I tell you what I find interesting but not necessarily surprising. Michigan has 6 million more people in the state then Oklahoma yet Oklahoma has 140 more softball teams. I know it's not why you did the research/data but it's interesting what you can take from a collection of numbers.

Sep 30, 2013
I tell you what I find interesting but not necessarily surprising. Michigan has 6 million more people in the state then Oklahoma yet Oklahoma has 140 more softball teams. I know it's not why you did the research/data but it's interesting what you can take from a collection of numbers.

Great catch, and a good reason why HS numbers are so untrustworthy. I ran the numbers in this attachment only for teams who played less than 5 games. As you can see, the numbers show that Mi does indeed have lots of teams, but for some reason aren’t posting their scores. ;) There are certain parts of the country that choose to use some other stat service than MaxPreps, and that makes things very difficult, and why national rankings pretty bad as well. MaxPreps gains roughly 3-5% of the country every year, so they're getting better. But, its still gonna be a while before they get 100% of all the games. :)

View attachment 2014HSSB01.pdf

Mar 26, 2013
As for what you GET out of the information, I suppose it depends on what you’re looking for. This attachment shows all teams that scored more than 10 runs per game and played more than 20 games. Not that it means anything, but if a team’s name shows up on that list, chances are they one of the better HS teams in the country.
That's quite a stretch - even with your qualifiers/disclaimers. Scanning through the list for SoCal teams, I see far more big fish in small ponds than ones from the big ponds. It's like combining MLB and minor league teams.

Mar 26, 2013
The avg HS size can vary greatly from state to state. For example, SoCal has more students in less HS's than Ohio.
- CA Southern Section: roughly 800k students in 580 schools - ~1,400 per school
- OH 430k students in 830 schools - ~500/school

Sep 30, 2013
That's quite a stretch - even with your qualifiers/disclaimers. Scanning through the list for SoCal teams, I see far more big fish in small ponds than ones from the big ponds. It's like combining MLB and minor league teams.

All I’ve done is take what people have submitted, with absolutely no judgments. If the SoCal “big fish” don’t post the numbers, that’s one thing. But if their number don’t match up with some of the others, maybe they’re not such big fish after all. ;)

I did the same thing for baseball, and the same kind of comments were made, as though I was trying to provide some kind of national ranking system, which I’m absolutely not trying to do. But what I’ve done is the basis for any ranking system. The best ones also factor in other things like strength of schedule, but I don’t even want to get into that mess.

But back to your statement about big fish and ponds, what difference does it make? Why denigrate a team for the conference/league/division they play in? Is the best team in the weakest division not still worthy of praise? I’m pretty sure there’s 8 divisions in Ca because it wouldn’t be very smart or much fun for either team for a DVII school to play a bunch of DI schools.

When you find a way for EVERY team to play EVERY other team to determine which is the best team, let me know. Until then, all anyone can do is work with what’s available.

I was gonna generate an attachment that only shows Ca teams that played more than 20 games and scored more than 10 RPG. Maybe it would make you feel more proud since there’s all kinds of SoCal teams on it. But chances are, the truth is most of the teams that play very difficult schedules aren’t scoring a lot of runs, so instead I ran it to pull Ca teams that played more than 25 games and had a WPct of over .800.

View attachment 2014HSSB02.pdf

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207