HS Softball Woes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
A couple of weeks ago I went to watch a HS game that girls from DD's TB team are playing for. They run ruled the opposing team in 6 innings. As I was walking out of the facilities I can hear the coach yelling and berating them for not run ruling them quicker. I looked back and see that the team is running poles. Just wow.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
A couple of weeks ago I went to watch a HS game that girls from DD's TB team are playing for. They run ruled the opposing team in 6 innings. As I was walking out of the facilities I can hear the coach yelling and berating them for not run ruling them quicker. I looked back and see that the team is running poles. Just wow.

If you focus on the process, not the results, then you don't need to worry about the results. That said, Coaches should always be constructive

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
My daughter catches and on more than one occasion she has turned around and told the a##hat parents that she could hear everything they are saying. And she says it loud enough that everyone can hear her. I have seen more than one home plate umpire bust out laughing.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD is a P, I have been asked to sit in OF. DD still tracks me.

If they have a connsionisiin stand, hot dogs here I come.

DD does a great job ignoring everyone but her teammates, HC needs to call timeout if they want any chance she hears them.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
DD is a freshman, playing Varsity and catching as well. She has played for a few different coaches in her TB/MS days, and likes the hard but fair type coaching. Was all excited to get to HS to play ball with girls she has played TB with and against.

We have heard from parents that the HS softball staff leaves something to be desired, but we are the types that try to wait and make our own decision, based on our own experiences. So we went into this season with our hearts set on having a good and fun HS season, with or without the win totals.

Well 1/3 into the season and I have never seen such a negative program in my life. The coaches are extremely negative, which filters down to the players, then the parents. Some of the Seniors and Juniors are so nasty to the rest of the girls, every game is miserable. The coaching staff are such control freaks, even if a girl does something right, they get lambasted for something, just so the coaches feel like they are "offering good coaching". There is absolutely no positive reinforcement what so ever. We even saw a girl on our team hit a HR, and get yelled at from our coaching staff for being congratulated by the other team as she rounded the bases.

Some of the parents are the worst of the worst. Their kid is the best ever, no matter what. If their kid makes an error, or has a bad game, it is because of all the other kids around on the field. Now, I know my kid isn't the best, but she is a damn good ball player, and a great leader on the field and in the dugout. Always positive and cheers for her team mates, along with a few other girls, most of whom are lower classmen. It is seriously taking its toll on my daughter who is starting to not enjoy softball anymore because of this. And this is something I will not stand for. If she wants to stop playing, that is on her, but I will not have someone else make her stop by stealing the fun from it.

Does anyone else have similar issues with this? I know mental toughness is required to play this wonderful sport, but damn, how much does a kid have to take?
My DDs had a similar situation. Several girls left the team and went out for track because the HC berated players publicly and often during games. I saw him destroy our best hitter in a playoff game after she made an error. She was worthless at the plate after that. I saw him get in a yelling match with our #1 pitcher and kick her out of the dugout and demote her to JV in the middle of a game. He always treated my DDs fine but they hated playing for him because of how he treated some of the girls. I worked off-season hitting and pitching with several of the players and had a good relationship with him so I talked to him about it and told him that if DD2 went out for track the next year I didn't want him to wonder why. It was all because of him and how he treated the girls. The captains, a player, and several parents went to the AD about him. He resigned and the AD hired a positive upbeat coach and the girls are having a great time. Coaches have no business personally attacking HS players. You can't be the only parent who thinks this way. If other parents think this way go to the AD. My DDs have played for yellers who they absolutely loved. They have been screamed at during a game and yanked off first base for missing a steal sign and they love that coach. He was a yeller but was fair and did not make it personal. This guy was different. He made it personal. Players should not have to put up with the verbal abuse.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
My DDs had a similar situation. Several girls left the team and went out for track because the HC berated players publicly and often during games. I saw him destroy our best hitter in a playoff game after she made an error. She was worthless at the plate after that. I saw him get in a yelling match with our #1 pitcher and kick her out of the dugout and demote her to JV in the middle of a game. He always treated my DDs fine but they hated playing for him because of how he treated some of the girls. I worked off-season hitting and pitching with several of the players and had a good relationship with him so I talked to him about it and told him that if DD2 went out for track the next year I didn't want him to wonder why. It was all because of him and how he treated the girls. The captains, a player, and several parents went to the AD about him. He resigned and the AD hired a positive upbeat coach and the girls are having a great time. Coaches have no business personally attacking HS players. You can't be the only parent who thinks this way. If other parents think this way go to the AD. My DDs have played for yellers who they absolutely loved. They have been screamed at during a game and yanked off first base for missing a steal sign and they love that coach. He was a yeller but was fair and did not make it personal. This guy was different. He made it personal. Players should not have to put up with the verbal abuse.

This brings up an interesting point.
If the coach is a hard@$$, that is one thing.
If the coach is actually abusive, it should be brought to the attention of the AD.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Kudos to those high school softball programs out there that are free of (or at least much freer of) these kinds of abuses of power. In fact, bigger kudos to those that actually make a real effort to keep the politics and other abuses OUT of public school sports. I think it's impossible in most cases.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
This brings up an interesting point.
If the coach is a hard@$$, that is one thing.
If the coach is actually abusive, it should be brought to the attention of the AD.
He thought he was a hard rear and did not think he was abusive. He thought this younger generation of girls was weak. I have coached several years of high level travel ball and have never yelled at a player. I have also coached rec and community ball. I coach our HS dome ball. I have had very direct conversations with players but don't yell at them and humiliate them. I have yelled to get a players attention when they weren't paying attention but there is absolutely no need to scream at a player. Ever. The coach is the adult and needs to behave like one.

Aug 8, 2016
My daughter catches and on more than one occasion she has turned around and told the a##hat parents that she could hear everything they are saying. And she says it loud enough that everyone can hear her. I have seen more than one home plate umpire bust out laughing.

I played catcher and I yelled at a-hole fans in high school all of the time. I would do it from the fence directly in front of them and really embarrass them. I even had two of those people seek me out to apologize. One of them waited a few months until the travel ball season when I was back in their area and apologized to me for his behavior. I am 40 now and it is definitely something I will never forget.

Feb 17, 2014
I'm sure its a tough situation but your DD is only going to grow from it. If she loves softball, then this shouldn't make her want to quit, IMO. I would encourage her to try and be a positive in this negative situation.

This whole quitting because of the coach thing drives me kind of nuts. I've seen it and I honestly think the problem is with the player/parents. Teach them to overcome!!

DD plays travel basketball & softball. In the 5th grade, a girl moved from the B team to the A team in travel basketball. After the season, she quit because the A team coach was a yeller & screamer. DD moved to the A team in the 6th grade and tried the same BS. We told her to listen to what he's saying and not how he's saying it. 2 years later, DD will tell you this coach is one of the best coaches she's ever had.

The coach thinks its BS that the kid quit because of him.

Guess what... his DD quit playing softball a year later because she didn't like the coach!

Someone had the point earlier. She's going to face crappy people all through life. Teach her how to deal with it. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12