HS Softball and other organized sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 29, 2015
Hey all,
I am new here and have a question. My daughter plays HS Softball and we are currently in season. Does anyone know the rule for playing a different organized sport during the season? In other words, can she play in an organized soccer tournament during the school softball season? I have heard conflicting answers on this. Would appreciate any and all feedback!
THANKS

Jul 6, 2013
What state? Each is different. I know here, you can play any other sport other than the one they are in season for currently.

Dec 27, 2014
North Carolina
While many other states have adapted laws prohibiting external (i.e. travel club) in-season participation, there's no law here in NC that prohibits it. Many coaches do have their own team policy regarding such, including some of my DD's TB teammates.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I'm still kinda new to N.C., so don't want to misspeak, but you can play in an organized softball tournament during softball season, so I can't imagine that you couldn't play a soccer tournament during softball season.

Sometimes individual teams or coaches ban it. I don't believe there is a state association rule against it, but you might look up the NCHSA ...

Rules and Regulations | North Carolina High School Athletic Association

Apr 29, 2015
I have heard that in NC, there is to be no Travel Softball during the HS Softball Season....but what about an organized game of soccer? not necessarily a travel team...It seems that there are gray areas.

Jul 6, 2013
I have read the nchsaa regulation booklet 3 times now (it's not very long. Lol). There is absolutely nothing in it that would prohibit any student athlete from participating in ANY non-school sport during ANY season, provided it isn't compensated, professional, or college.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would also suggest checking with her HS coach, regardless of the state laws. Some may tolerate participation in another sport, but I would image most would discourage it.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
There is no grey area. If the state or district allows it, the child can play soccer after school and on weekends, at times other than HS games or practice. If her in practice or in game HS performance suffers she will ride the bench. If she is good, she will play. This is the US and HS coach, in states where other sports are allowed by the rules, can't tell you what to do in your off time. This is not something to take lightly, based on the whims of a control freak HS coach.
It's easier said then done when the control freak coach is your kids coach. On principle it seems to make sense but not all coaches act the same. And what if your kid isn't the best player on the team. Just take the benching?