HS Round 3 or 4.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Becky Scarsleigh - Becky is the #1 thing HS athletes complain about. she just thinks she is all that and a bag of potato chips but really she wouldn't even be on the team if her dad wasn't the grand poobah down at the lodge.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The ride home with parents

We have a winner. The one who drive to events say getting into a car the next day with a parent is just as bad as if they had to ride home that night with the parent. In short, HS athletes do all that they can to avoid a car ride with parents. This was far and above the #2 which was missing class for sporting events. As an example, my girl's golf team will leave school at 1:00 on Monday, the first day of school, and at 11:30 Tuesday for tournaments. The will not miss class again for a very long time but these are the two first days of school and it is tough on my players IF they don't listen and go to the teachers to get their assignments before school starts. Both boy's and girl's golf is at the mercy of when public courses will open up for HS play. Additionally, we have 3 HS which amount to 9 total teams using the public course we use. So, we have to have matches when the course will allow us to play. So, I have 2 home matches this year. I know that this is an extreme example but a valid one. The remarks for the survey were for conferences that have schools hours away. The conference my school is in has two schools that are over an hour away and that is being conservative in that estimation. Sports fees were also in the top 5.

As an FYI, one comment also made in wrapping up this conversation this morning was that the author was shocked to learn that a vast majority of HS students expect compensation for doing anything around the house. I guess the roof over their head and food isn't enough.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
They complained about missing class??? That was literally the best part. We only missed class when ee had play offs or went to state but let me tell you, it was a serious highlight.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We have a winner. The one who drive to events say getting into a car the next day with a parent is just as bad as if they had to ride home that night with the parent. In short, HS athletes do all that they can to avoid a car ride with parents. This was far and above the #2 which was missing class for sporting events. As an example, my girl's golf team will leave school at 1:00 on Monday, the first day of school, and at 11:30 Tuesday for tournaments. The will not miss class again for a very long time but these are the two first days of school and it is tough on my players IF they don't listen and go to the teachers to get their assignments before school starts. Both boy's and girl's golf is at the mercy of when public courses will open up for HS play. Additionally, we have 3 HS which amount to 9 total teams using the public course we use. So, we have to have matches when the course will allow us to play. So, I have 2 home matches this year. I know that this is an extreme example but a valid one. The remarks for the survey were for conferences that have schools hours away. The conference my school is in has two schools that are over an hour away and that is being conservative in that estimation. Sports fees were also in the top 5.

As an FYI, one comment also made in wrapping up this conversation this morning was that the author was shocked to learn that a vast majority of HS students expect compensation for doing anything around the house. I guess the roof over their head and food isn't enough.

My entire golf team is comprised of AP students and top of their class. The baseball and softball teams I coached were also comprised of some of the top student athletes in our school. Our school is tough and I think with the common core and new evaluation system all school are going to have to transition to, missing school can really set a student back.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

Ah, I got the #2 because I was thinking 'specific to HS sports'

Parents/politics/drama and the other issues exists in all sports. No surprise there.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
This is not the author or book that I was referencing via the sports talk radio show this morning but is a good read. The book is about HS adolescence and has other information besides HS sports. The author is also a lady. I wish I had caught the title of the book. I do find it interesting that the beginning of this article linked by PA SB Dad is almost word for word for what was said today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd