HS pitching and parenting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would assume, at that level, that in-game adjustments focus upon specific plans of attacks against specific batters.
Pitch calling, location adjustments, mental game, and other strategy whatnot - not mechanical adjustments.

would you agree?

My guess is their discussion focuses on what is working and not working real time, including adjustments to specific hitters and the umpires strike zone. I would also like to point out that the college team pitching coach, usually former collegiate pitchers themselves, work daily with their pitchers. How many HS/TB coaches have ever attend pitching lessons for their pitchers other than their DD? How many are former pitchers?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
How many HS/TB coaches have ever attend pitching lessons for their pitchers other than their DD? How many are former pitchers?

It doesn't matter.

I'm familiar of a situation with a HS coach who did pitch in college and does give IR pitching lessons. Pitcher parents still prefer yelling at the DD pitcher through the backstop rather than letting that HS coach work with her.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It doesn't matter.

I'm familiar of a situation with a HS coach who did pitch in college and does give IR pitching lessons. Pitcher parents still prefer yelling at the DD pitcher through the backstop rather than letting that HS coach work with her.

Does the pitchers parents PAY this coach for pitching lessons during TB season? There are a lot of IR pitching coaches in our area that I would not pay for lessons for my DD...and I would not want them instructing my DD in HS either.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would assume, at that level, that in-game adjustments focus upon specific plans of attacks against specific batters.
Pitch calling, location adjustments, mental game, and other strategy whatnot - not mechanical adjustments.

would you agree?

I am watching the replay of the Oklahoma vs. Arkansas regional game this morning and Grace Moll, Arkansas pitcher, just threw 4 wild pitches in a row, giving up the go ahead run in the 5th. When the coach called timeout and went to the circle what do you think they discussed?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
JAD--Yep, she does get paid. Does quite well. I'm not sure what kind of idiot would try to teach pitching "for free", but...

Your qualifications in order for a coach to be sufficiently honored to offer advice to a HS pitcher is now (1) pitched collegiate softball, (2) teaches pitching and (3) gets paid for pitching lessons.

Come on...the bottom line is that no one, other than yourself, has sufficient wisdom to impart anything of value to your DD.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
JAD--Yep, she does get paid. Does quite well. I'm not sure what kind of idiot would try to teach pitching "for free", but...

Your qualifications in order for a coach to be sufficiently honored to offer advice to a HS pitcher is now (1) pitched collegiate softball, (2) teaches pitching and (3) gets paid for pitching lessons.

Come on...the bottom line is that no one, other than yourself, has sufficient wisdom to impart anything of value to your DD.

The question was not does she get paid to give lessons, the question was does the pitcher on the HS team in question pay her for lessons? I know a lot of pitching coaches who make a lot of money giving pitching lessons to 8-14 year olds. When a pitching coach does not have any 16 or 18U students red flags should go up.

As for my DD there are a lot of people qualified to give her instruction, none of them were on her HS coaching staff...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00