HS coach but not HS coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2012
I know that several states with spring ball has a date that the HC and AC can start coaching at what is considered the official start of the season somewhere late Feb maybe. I know a lot of them use a parent or someone else to run practice and work with players during the fall and winter, during what is called "open gym" time frame. What has me confused is the that once the season starts I see these same people in the dugout in coaching roles. How does this work. If your in the dugout doesn't that make you an official coach whether on the payroll or not. Or is it being paid what makes you coach?

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
In our state, only the varsity head coach, assistant coach and JV head coach are paid positions - the others are volunteers and therefore not held to state coaching rules. Our state also allows for a paid coach to work with 1-2 players at a time and not be considered in violation.

That being said, I imagine the rule is broken quite a bit. If discovered and reported it is a $50 fine for each incident.

JohnnyO

Began this habit in 1980
May 13, 2015
Midwest
Minnesota rules: During the school year, members of the high school
coaching staff (full time, part time, head coach, assistant
coach, volunteer coach, salaried or non-salaried) may
not own, organize, administer, direct, or coach a camp or
clinic, league, or tournament that is attended by players
from the coach’s school in that sport

Forum statistics

Threads