HS baseball - moratorium on composite bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
I'll be pissed if they ban compisite bats. I paid $365 for my bat, I don't want to have to stop using it!

I'd be in favor of them banning NEW bats, but not ones already on the market.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Agree Lozza. I've got about $1,000 worth of bats in my bag. I'd hate to have to stop using any of them. I know a lot of boys around here that have recently gotten new bats and they aren't going to be happy when they find out that composite bats have been banned from high school baseball. I haven't heard a lot of talk about this other than this forum and I expect that this will trickle down into our youth baseball program. If they can't have them in high school, why use them there?

This is a small, rural area. Folks don't have a lot of money. They can't drop $300 on a bat to later find out that their kid can't use it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
:) I agree with you. I would be mad, too.

But my sons were playing HS baseball when they suddenly required a -3 weight drop and there wasn't a thing anyone could do about it.

Jul 28, 2008
When you have the ball coming off the bat 10-15 miles faster after the bat break-in period, something needs to be done. I have a 2007 Synergy in my bag that's hotter then all get out. I have no doubt that it wouldn't pass the test at this point in it's lifespan. If they ban it, I'll remove it. It will then become a fungo bat for me as a coach. The $300 is a small sacrifice when it comes to these bats and the potential to hurt someone. It's time, in my opinion, to address this issue and take care of it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Perhaps the bat companies will take their bats back that are still guaranteed and replace them with non-composites. :)

IF this does happen in softball, I know many men that have dozens of composite bats that they have several thousand dollars tied up in.

Jeez, just got on this thread....bought a CF4 for dd two days ago!!! It would be a DREAM, if the composites are banned, for the manufacturers to send out new ones, especially to those who have purchased within the year warranty on them. Lawd o' mercy, I think I'll break down and cry in a corner if they get banned soon....no joke!

Oct 19, 2009
My daughter has a composite bat that dad paid $ 300.00 for, sure she would hate to give it up, but if there is a problem with injuries because of the composites/hot bats then it is what it is. The RT bats are just as hot as the composites so if one is banned then the other should be banned.

The pitchers should love it, the small ball game would take priority and the power hitters would be few and far between if all the hot bats were removed from the game, I would think. If it would keep one kid from getting hurt then we can live with it.

I don't see the bats being replaced by the makers, they were legal when purchased. We can wait and see what happens in the baseball side of the game.

Mar 15, 2010
My daughter has a composite bat that dad paid $ 300.00 for, sure she would hate to give it up, but if there is a problem with injuries because of the composites/hot bats then it is what it is. The RT bats are just as hot as the composites so if one is banned then the other should be banned.

There is a significant performance difference between composite and aluminum bats. Check out the research article on this topic at: Are Composite Bats better than Aluminum Bats?. What is important to note in the finding is that the aluminum bats consistently were under the ASA 2004 max of 98 MPH where as composites were at or above the standard. End of the day, however, it really depends upon the batter. My DD uses the RocketTech and can drive the ball over 185' fences. She has tried her teammates composites (CF4) and the difference in her hitting distance is negligible. I have another power hitter on my team that can drive her balanced CF4 150 - 160' consistently but can only hit the end loaded RT 130 - 140' max.

Oct 19, 2009
There is a significant performance difference between composite and aluminum bats. Check out the research article on this topic at: Are Composite Bats better than Aluminum Bats?. What is important to note in the finding is that the aluminum bats consistently were under the ASA 2004 max of 98 MPH where as composites were at or above the standard. End of the day, however, it really depends upon the batter. My DD uses the RocketTech and can drive the ball over 185' fences. She has tried her teammates composites (CF4) and the difference in her hitting distance is negligible. I have another power hitter on my team that can drive her balanced CF4 150 - 160' consistently but can only hit the end loaded RT 130 - 140' max.

Thanks Socal for pointing out the article, a good read.

I was basing my statement on observations of balls hit off the RT that looked as hard as any ball coming from a composite bat. Not being an expert or any way claiming to be, I think a kid with a strong swing that can take advantage of the double walls of the RT bats which produces ball speed which is just as dangerous as the composite bat. My daughter who is a pitcher also advised that she has seen an increase in balls hit back to her hard as a result of the 3 foot increase in pitching distance. It seems more kids are getting around on the fastballs and making solid contact.

That is how I see it.

I have been told the 2004 RT was the hotest legal bat for FP.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2008
I have been told the 2004 RT was the hotest legal bat for FP.

I have heard this too. It was even asked of Anderson's chief engineer, Steven Anderson, on this thread. He said there is no difference between the 2004 or other bats. They are identical other than paint scheme and perform the same in lab tests. It's perception that differs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06