HS baseball - moratorium on composite bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Baseball Rules Change Puts Moratorium on Composite Bats

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Elliot Hopkins

INDIANAPOLIS, IN (July 12, 2010) — One of six new rules changes by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Baseball Rules Committee forbids the use of composite bats until they can meet the Batted Ball Coefficient of Restitution (BBCOR) performance standard. The changes, which were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors, will take effect with the 2010-11 school year.

After thorough testing by the Baseball Research Center at the University of Massachusetts–Lowell, the NFHS Baseball Rules Committee voted to outlaw composite bats until they can produce consistent results through the life of the bat, be made tamper-evident and be labeled as a composite product.
Elliot Hopkins, NFHS liaison to the Baseball Rules Committee, visited with James Sherwood, director of the Baseball Research Center, and spent several hours witnessing composite bat testing. “Rolling the bat gives it a higher performance,” Hopkins said. “It can significantly increase the performance and that’s huge in our game.”

Rolling the bat isn’t the only problem. Rolling only speeds up the performance enhancement that would occur over time after normal use. Even composite bats that were not altered will eventually see this increase in performance, and the rules committee views that as a major concern.

Rule 1-3-2 through 5 was completely rewritten with the intention of creating a rule that preserves the intent and spirit of the old rule, but is better suited to products resulting from new technology.

Under the new rule, bats with composite handles and tapers would still be legal. The stricter language applies primarily to the barrel of the bat.
“While the handles and taper are important components of the bat,” Hopkins said, “the area that we recognized as more susceptible to abuse is the barrel.”

Feb 24, 2010
I used a wood bat until HS, at which time I was FORCED to use aluminum. Prior to HS I was a very good hitter, but quickly dropped off due to having to use aluminum. Wood bats give feedback, to the hands especially, when you don't hit the ball properly. I've even heard this about hockey a few years back.

I haven't purchased one of the $300 composite bats for DD for fear that as soon as I do they will be banned - and I truly believe they will. During the WCWS the announcers were talking about the same issue and one said that even Candrea was in favor of banning composits. I think it's coming - it's just a matter of when.

I have to go now and call my broker and tell her to buy Anderson stock!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No, I haven't purchased any composite bats, either - for the same reason. And there are a couple of them that I would have normally purchased this summer, the Easton Synge and the DeMarini CF4.

I, too, am sticking with the RTs.

Jul 28, 2008
I just purchased a Nanotek and TechZilla yesterday for my DD's to go along with the two RT's they already own (I've always been an Anderson fan).. What timing!? How long until this drifts into the fastpitch world?

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
It will be interesting to see. I've got four bats in my bag, two of which are from the Easton Stealth sc900 line. They are aluminum alloy bats, light, and they hit like a dream. When/if composites are banned, I'll be glad I have them.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Oh, it's coming. Baseball usually sets the tone first, then softball is next to follow. Not sure who is pulling the puppet strings right now, but all the illegal college pitching calls is a dead give away. Next they will attack the bats, then they will go to the 'universal' ball I've been hearing about. If you have ANY doubt why do you think they are pushing 43' at all levels above 10U. Just hide and watch.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
I say just make them go back to using wood.

But that gets complicated.

What kind of wood? Is Hickory is OK, but Maple and Ash too hot. What about Bamboo and wood laminates?

When I was young we had corked wooden bats in MLB, and in HS some teammates used loaded aluminum bats. The next batter had to be ready and hurry and pick the bat up sometimes so the umpire wouldnt, because he might notice something funny about a bat, like the screwdriver marks on the plastic end cap.

It will always be something. You cant make it even unless everyone just uses the same bat.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06