HS Athletic Awards

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2012
My oldest daughter (Jr) rec'd several awards during the ceremony this past week. All of them were great, including the individual and "team player"-type awards. However, one really got to me. Gene Coleman was the HS coach for several years, and was my wife's coach (I went to a "rival" school 10 miles down the road). His family goes to our church, and we've both been friends of the family for years, even before we met each other. He was our daughter's PE teacher in elementary school and they had a great relationship. His wife taught both my wife and our oldest daughter in Kindergarten. She has taught religion to both of our kids. Some of my greatest memories were when my father-in-law and I would drive past Gene's house after a successful morning on the lake with a stringer full of bass...just to rub it in. Gene died a few years back, and they've been giving out an award in his name since, based on honor, integrity, etc. It's the last award given out at the ceremony. Gene's wife was sitting with us at the table this year, and when my daughter's name was announced...Gene's wife cried...my wife cried...and, yes...big, bad dad shed a few as well. Daughter went and received the award, came back to see the entire table in tears, and broke down with us. This post doesn't really do it justice, but I know many of you will "get it" because you have had that coach/friend in your lives.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I'm sure that one award meant more than all the rest combined. Congrats to your daughter and congrats to her parents for raising such a fine person.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying