How to tell if a bat is "dead" or if its just problems in the swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2015
Sounds like the coach is taking the pressure off his "changes" by saying the bat is dead :rolleyes:

Ha...nope. Batting coach says bat is good and he wants her to stay with her current bat until DD works thru some stuff. TB asst coach is the one saying her bat is dead. I do think we wil be hitting you up shortly here for a new bat... :)

Dec 20, 2011
I have never seen a composite bat die, usually they get very hot and then break. Two years ago we had a 2013 Xeno that just died. We took a couple different bats out to the field and hit off a tee and it was obvious that it was dead. I am not sure why the xeno and lxt are different from other composites.

Mar 3, 2016
She should suck it up and learn to slap now unless you think she'll get a lot larger. I wish I'd started my DD at 12. She started at 14 and struggled for a year-not good for her confidence or her prospects for a new travel team. She didn't get the spot in the lineup she needed to see the pitchers live more than once or twice for months-which also slowed her progress...now she's on top again but it was a tough 9 months!

In other words, everyone who slaps unless they are an amazing prodigy is going to struggle for a year and better sooner than later.

My DD actually hits better on both sides now because she understands the mechanics of hitting better after a year and a half of batting lessons...Damn good thing I say!

Sep 18, 2011
Bats go dead all the time and there is an easy test to determine if the bat has lost its pop. If your DD goes 0 for 4 two games in a row, the bat is DEAD.

Oct 10, 2011
Bats go dead all the time and there is an easy test to determine if the bat has lost its pop. If your DD goes 0 for 4 two games in a row, the bat is DEAD.
DD's bat went dead so we sold that piece of crap to her friend (cheap).
Her friend hit her first 2 home runs ever in her 1st week LOL!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sep 18, 2011
DD's bat went dead so we sold that piece of crap to her friend (cheap).
Her friend hit her first 2 home runs ever in her 1st week LOL!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yes. Miraculously, new owners have the power to resurrect dead bats. :)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
She actually did this last week - she hit with a Xeno, an Anderson SuperNova and a DeMarini. Same result...no good hits. Then at the very end of practice she hit one bomb with her bat. But this weekend she struggled again.

I'm thinking her issues are complicated...she is a 1st year 12U player. Last year she was one of the top hitters on her team. She led the team in HRs and had the best OBP of any player on the team. She is little though (72lbs) and since she moved up to 12s she hasn't hit as well. She still has a fairly high OBP and once on base she usually makes her way around. Her coach really wants to see her start slapping because she is FAST. She decided to start working on slapping over the winter and it seems to have set her regular swing back. We decided to try to fix the regular swing and put off slapping until later...

I am thinking we are going to go ahead and buy the new bat though...she's going to need it eventually anyway!

Moving up to 12U and a 12" ball that is bigger AND heavier is not just difficult for pitchers....let her hit a bucket of 11" balls to feel the difference.

Apr 26, 2015
So frustrating right now. She goes to her hitting coach and kills the ball. He doesn't throw batting practice to her. He throws outside, inside, high, low and she crushes them all. During practice with her team she hits too. But come game time she overthinks every single thing about her swing and can't hit. The bat is most definitely not dead. We would really like to move her up a size, but the hitting coach wants her to be confident in her swing before we throw added weight/length in...so here we sit.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
So frustrating right now. She goes to her hitting coach and kills the ball. He doesn't throw batting practice to her. He throws outside, inside, high, low and she crushes them all. During practice with her team she hits too. But come game time she overthinks every single thing about her swing and can't hit. The bat is most definitely not dead. We would really like to move her up a size, but the hitting coach wants her to be confident in her swing before we throw added weight/length in...so here we sit.

My DD is a "cage hitting phenom"....kills the ball in the cage and BP, then struggles in games, and the problem resides in the 6" between her ears. I just need to figure out a way to get her to relax and be as confident in the batters box as she is in the pitchers circle...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma