How to tell if a bat is "dead" or if its just problems in the swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 3, 2014
My DD is a cage hitter too, right now at least. Just crushes in BP too. My HS baseball coach used to call me a 5 o'clock hitter. I never new what it meant until recently when I looked it up. He was right.

Apr 26, 2015
My DD is a "cage hitting phenom"....kills the ball in the cage and BP, then struggles in games, and the problem resides in the 6" between her ears. I just need to figure out a way to get her to relax and be as confident in the batters box as she is in the pitchers circle...

This is it exactly! DD is a catcher and is a beast behind the plate. No hesitation, no overthinking, just does what she knows how to do. WHY can't it be the same in the batters box? Ugh!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
This is it exactly! DD is a catcher and is a beast behind the plate. No hesitation, no overthinking, just does what she knows how to do. WHY can't it be the same in the batters box? Ugh!

My best suggestions would be to do as much BP off live pitching as possible. Another thing we are trying is to have batters stand in while our pitchers are practicing. They wear a batting helmet, but no bat, and they call ball or strike while the pitch is in flight - helps identify which pitches to swing at. Another variation of this drill is to try to have the batters try to identify the pitch - fastball, curve, screw, change, rise....it is good for pitchers and batters because it can let pitchers know if they are tipping their pitches or slowing down their arms on a change up.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma