how to start a tournament

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
1) Well one tournament we were interested in got moved and we can't do that.
2) Help get my organization exposure and to help it grow

Nov 15, 2011
I have been the tournament director for numerous tournaments over several years. Running tournaments are A LOT of work! You need to find someone in your area who has run a tournament and ask them to help you - even if you have to pay them as a consultant. The organization I was previously with developed a 2 page check list of things that needed to be done for the tournament- it is not a 1 person job. Tournaments can be great money makers or they can be disasters. Two things you need 1) Lots of volunteers and 2) a great UIC. Having good umpires and someone to schedule and organize them is more than half the battle. If your first tournament is a disaster you can almost be assured it will be your last. There are plenty of other options out there (at least in our area).

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
. The organization I was previously with developed a 2 page check list of things that needed to be done for the tournament- it is not a 1 person job. ).

Do you have a copy of that two page checklist? If so can you e-mail it to me?

Jan 23, 2009
NE
coachtucc,

I sent you a forum email when you get that get me your email address. I'll send you the spreadsheet I use to schedule our workers for a 40 team 10-18 tournament our organization runs every year.

Feb 3, 2011
1) Well one tournament we were interested in got moved and we can't do that.
2) Help get my organization exposure and to help it grow

Start small. I'd recommend doing 1 division in your 1st year. I don't know how many 12u teams there are within an hour of you, but I'd probably start there and shoot for 8-to-12 teams. You could do a fun, relaxing 2-day event in a family-friendly atmosphere and as long as you were well-organized, it could provide a terrific springboard to even more success next year and beyond.

If you're trying to do something this spring/summer, you may be too late, but most teams have not set their fall schedules yet. You know other coaches out there, so after checking your regional calendar, speak with them about their teams' availability and possible interest in coming out to your place.

You'll still need all the elements identified by previous posters, but I wouldn't try to do a 50-60 team event your 1st time out. Let it build to that level over the next few years.

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
Most of all make sure the fields are in great shape. How often are you going to drag and water them. Make sure the OF grass is cut. The fields are lined. The bases are in good shape. We have been to tournaments that they lined the fields for the first game and never again. Grass on one field 8" tall, 4" on the other. Trash pickup is important also. Don't forget port-a-johns if you need them. Setting them up to close to the fields can be bad. If you are responsible for all of these things than you need the man or woman power to take care of them on game day.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I ran a C/D/Rec level tourney for the first time this past summer at our small town high school fields and it went very well.
-One day tourney, each team gets 3 games. Had 2 age groups on Saturday, 2 other age groups on Sunday. Two pool, seed for final game. The right amount of ball for these teams that don't take it too seriously.
-I'm glad we didn't go cheap on the umps. Hired certified HS umps.
-Brought in extra porta's for the event. Still had lines at times to use them. I brought over an old sink and hooked up water as a hand washing station. Big hit over the hand sanitizers in the porta's.
-Gave out tournament champion t-shirts to each player on the winning team. They were more expensive than a cheesy medal, but a big hit. Gave out cold Gatorades on a hot day to 3rd place, also a hit. Gave out cheesy medals to 2nd.
I stayed away from dating any prizes as "2019" in case of worst case scenario, total rain out, so I'd be able to use them next summer.
-I wish I had tournament t-shirts made up to sell. Those seem to be popular.
-I had someone else be completely in charge of concessions. Good move. Add a menu item a little unique beyond burgers and dogs. We had pulled pork sandwiches from a local butcher shop. Big hit.
-I wish I had someone else be completely in charge of field maintenance. I had a crew of four helping me so it went well, but the Director needs to be available to deal with people, not sitting on a groomer.
-First aid kit, defibrillator unit on hand. Wife is a nurse and was there the whole time. We notified our local volunteer emergency services so they were aware. Only needed them once for heat fatigue/stumbled and hit her head.

Great experience, I only made 3 people mad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom