how to start a tournament

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
Can anyone give advice on how to start a tournament?
I already have some ideas (drop dead time, teams must show birth certificates and insurance, number of teams, trophies and medals(

Is there anything else I need. I have fields.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Insurance is the most important thing, it needs to be sorted out before anyone steps on the field.

Other than that try to set an expectation of what quality of Teams you want to be involved, hard to control unless you want the best of the best.

If you are organized and keep things moving the players will have a good time and come back.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
Quincy:
Is it just that each team needs to have their own insurance on them or does my organization need to have a blanket insurance to cover things?

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Picking the date is critical. Make sure that there isn't a conflict with other tournaments.
Is it going to be a sanctioned tournament?
Type of tournament, pool play, single elimination, double?
In the case of a protest, what procedures are you going to follow?
Is there going to be a athletic trainer or EMT's on site?
What rules are you going to play by and are there going to be any variations (bat roster, etc.)
Who is going to organize and schedule to umpires and provide hospitality for them?
What type of awards?
Who is going to maintain the fields between games?
Is there any restrictions on using the fields (who makes the call in case of bad weather, can games go past a certain time).
What is the plan in case of rain? Is there a contact phone number/website?
Who is going to run the concession stand, what type of items?
What type of vendors? (T-shirts, equipment, etc.)
Do you have scoreboards and who is going to run them?
Location of the team check in.

I would start very small. You have to have a number of parents or people in your organization that are willing to help.

ETA:
Are you going to have a gate? (requires extra man power, many teams in our area just tack it on to entry fee.)

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Many times you will need to also have insurance for just the tournament.

Our city requires us to provided additional insurance as a condition to use the fields.

It isn't very much and depends on the number of teams.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Maybe the first year set up a few one day friendly tournaments/fundraisers to get an idea of the level of organization and help you need. I think starting with something simple and gradually building might be better than trying to go big the first time around. I would also contact the local/regional rep for the specific association (ASA, USSSA, NSA, etc) you are interested in hosting for help/ideas as well as what their requirements are to host an affiliated tournament/qualifier.

Sep 17, 2009
I would worry most about teams showing up....you know, that whole if you build it, will they come thing ; >

Tournament marketing 101: Get started early, post before anyone else does (Active/Eteamz, etc), play you scratch my back/I'll scratch yours with every team/coach you've ever played a game against to get commitments.

Also, offer some unique things: games, contests, free lunch tickets, free clinics with name players/coaches.

That's what always keeps me up at night when it comes to tournaments...getting teams to show up. You might get lucky and find untapped need. But more likely, you'll be going up against 2-3 tournaments the SAME weekend, as well as dozens across the summer.

As for the other stuff-rules, processes, etc: Steal from tournaments that you've been to that you like.

One caveat: you may need help with umpires, but be careful hiring an umpire "coordinator" that charges you to make a few phone calls you could probably make yourself.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
I will also add:

We have also done coaches packets for when the coaches check in. Many businesses will provide coupons for restaurants, batting cages to put in their bags, as well as, stuff from the local tourism department.

In some of the mid-sized cities that have tourism boards, you can apply for grants to help fund your tournament. It does take some work, preparation and they usually request budgets and all sorts of paperwork but it is generally worth it.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Quincy:
Is it just that each team needs to have their own insurance on them or does my organization need to have a blanket insurance to cover things?

You need blanket insurance, not worth the risk. Just need to add it into the cost of the teams playing the Tourney.

Oct 25, 2009
Can anyone give advice on how to start a tournament?
I already have some ideas (drop dead time, teams must show birth certificates and insurance, number of teams, trophies and medals(

Is there anything else I need. I have fields.

If at all possible get rid of drop dead times!!! If not possible try to have finish the inning. If that's not possible at least allow the kid to finish their at bat.

Time limits suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most people I know would rather have a 4- or 5-inning game than a time limit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802