How to score this play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Why wouldn't it be considered a fielder's choice?

How is this different from when a player fields the ball and decides to not attempt to throw out a runner?

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

How is this different from when a player fields the ball and decides to not attempt to throw out a runner?

That would not be considered a fielder's choice either. If a fielder fields a ball cleanly and opts to not throw (thinks the runner will have it beat or whatever), that's also a base hit.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

Fielder's choice refers to the decision of a fielder to allow a batter to reach safely in order to deal with another base-runner (not the batter/runner). Intentionally letting the batter reach safely for any other reason is a mental mistake, thus not an error. (Maybe there is an exception, but I can't think of any sane reason to let a batter reach base on purpose with the bases empty. Remember the scene from the championship game in 'Bad News Bears'?)

If a fielder fields a ball cleanly and opts to not throw (thinks the runner will have it beat or whatever), that's also a base hit.

Correct, although an exception would be if the fielder opts not to throw in order to keep another baserunner from advancing or scoring. You might see this with runners on 2nd and 3rd and a bunt. At lower levels, where throw-and-catch is risky, you might see a fielder hold the ball and concede first, setting up a force play at home.

Mar 1, 2016
From NCAA Rules and Interpretations book:
A base hit is credited to a batter when she advances to a base safely:
14.3.2.2 When a ground ball is fielded and no throw or a late throw is made, a hit is credited to the batter unless a throw was not made or was made late because of checking or holding a base runner on base.
14.3.14 If the ball is not touched because of confusion as to who should have fielded it.
Note: Always give the batter the benefit of the doubt and score a hit when exceptionally good fielding fails to result in a putout. When in doubt, scoring should always award base hits instead of charging errors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I wouldn't score it an error but I am curious why 1B didn't charge pick the ball up, apply the tag and then make the play on other runners if there were any on base at the time... Even then, were there any runners on base?

It's possible that 1B simply couldn't get to where the ball was before the runner passed her, and she waited to see if the ball would go foul. When 1B sees that full swing, the first instinct is usually that the ball is coming hard. By the time 1B realizes that she needs to charge, it can be too late if the runner is fast.

Last year, my DD had two base hits in one game off "swinging bunts" near the 1B foul line, confirming my theory about how extremely crappy hitting can often yield great results.

Jul 2, 2013
Fielder's choice refers to the decision of a fielder to allow a batter to reach safely in order to deal with another base-runner (not the batter/runner).

We had this happen a couple of weeks ago. I posted about it in the rules forum. Runner on 3, batter attempted to sac bunt but the ball rolled up the foul line. Third base let it roll to prevent runner from going (and hoping it would go foul) so batter reached safely. I scored it sac bunt safe on fielder's choice. Which led to the batter's mom asking me why her DD didn't get credit for a hit...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I tend to score those as hits (as they should be)...

...and make a note on who to yell at later (if we were on defense).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi