How to score the error?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 17, 2019
Error on the throw. No question. F6 going to 2B is the right move. Sometimes you can back-pick the lead runner at 2B after the out at 1B.

If F5 fields the ball on a bunt play, I like F2 going to cover 3B, largely because they are probably moving in that direction already with a bunt in play. If anyone other than F5 fields the bunt, F5 needs to hustle back to cover 3B.

F1 is a reasonable option to cover 3B, also.
I've found F1 or F5 are the options to cover 3B depending on who fields the bunt at the younger levels. Once DD got to 16U/18U, the higher level teams had F5/F2 cover 3B and F1 would cover home.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I've found F1 or F5 are the options to cover 3B depending on who fields the bunt at the younger levels. Once DD got to 16U/18U, the higher level teams had F5/F2 cover 3B and F1 would cover home.

My DD's 12U and 14U teams instructed F2/F5 at 3B. This may vary depending on the mobility of your players - LOL. My DD and her fellow catchers have always been athletic enough to make it work.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
How that particular play is scored and who gets the error aren't important. I know it's irritating, but nobody else cares. What's important is what the coach of this "national" team tells your DD about that play. Hopefully, he tells her to throw the ball just like that next time, and he'll make sure someone is covering. If she has to look first, the throw is probably late.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What's important is what the coach of this "national" team tells your DD about that play. Hopefully, he tells her to throw the ball just like that next time, and he'll make sure someone is covering. If she has to look first, the throw is probably late.
I don't completely agree. Knowing when not to throw is an important thing to learn, too. Learning to read, react, and adapt is a critical part of developing as a ball player. Good players are quick with read-react, and are aware of where the next play is likely to be.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I don't completely agree. Knowing when not to throw is an important thing to learn, too. Learning to read, react, and adapt is a critical part of developing as a ball player. Good players are quick with read-react, and are aware of where the next play is likely to be.

True, but on that play, the bags should be covered. Too easy to take 3B on a bunt otherwise.

Jun 4, 2019
I wouldn’t throw to a base if no one was covering. Nor would I throw to someone who wasnt looking.

So the throw just landed around 3B and no one was anywhere near the bag? Not sure I ever saw that. That’s a throwing error.

The only time I’d say to throw to the bag is a throw down from the catcher. Everyone meets at the bag, so I you have to assume they are covering. And CF is backing up anyways, so no one should advance.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am in throw the ball camp, trust someone will be there unless something unusual is going on. This was not an unusual play, someone should have been there. Sure coach will fix it next practice.

If nothing else LF needed to backup 3rd and might have stopped runner from scoring. Think a few players and coaches learned something on your Dd's "error".

Mar 20, 2019
My DD's 12U and 14U teams instructed F2/F5 at 3B. This may vary depending on the mobility of your players - LOL. My DD and her fellow catchers have always been athletic enough to make it work.
There was a college team this year (I want to say Mizzou) using F3 to bust over to third to cover 3rd if they didn't field the bunt.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2015
There was a college team this year (I want to say Mizzou) using F3 to bust over to third to cover 3rd if they didn't field the bunt.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I can see that. Their body is moving that direction so they just keep going. That would keep the pitcher out of the play and the best player to take a play at home at the plate if something really crazy happened

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Apr 11, 2016
bigger question - National level team and LF doesn't know to cover 3b??? Or the catcher running there since 3b fielded the bunt??
Agree. This is a National team, but seemed like only a few knows what to do with a bunt. DD talked to her HC afterward. HC said catcher & LF should be there. I thought SS also, since DD plays SS also and she was taught to cover 3rd on a bunt. In a sac bunt, the runner usually get on 2B anyway. So if DD should have checked before throwing, then 9 times out of 10, the runner would get on base since that extra second in looking for the fielder would make the throw too slow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00