How to score the error?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2016
DD was playing 2B. Runner on 1st. Batter bunt. DD covered 1st, and 3B threw her the ball and got the out. Runner advanced to 2B, but DD saw runner stealing to 3B. Quickly she threw the ball to 3B, but no one's there. Runner advanced home.

She was given the error. Her previous coaches always told them to throw the ball and trust your teammate to be there. Esp. in 14U, runners are much faster so every second counts. Turned out SS was covering 2nd instead on the bunt, and LF is too green to come in and cover 3B.

DD said it's her fault that she should have checked before throwing. I told her that in a fast game like this, you have to just throw it or else the runner would be safe. They are on a National team, so the fielders should know better.

What should she have done? Should she get the error or should it be SS's error for covering the wrong base?

Aug 21, 2020
DD was playing 2B. Runner on 1st. Batter bunt. DD covered 1st, and 3B threw her the ball and got the out. Runner advanced to 2B, but DD saw runner stealing to 3B. Quickly she threw the ball to 3B, but no one's there. Runner advanced home.

She was given the error. Her previous coaches always told them to throw the ball and trust your teammate to be there. Esp. in 14U, runners are much faster so every second counts. Turned out SS was covering 2nd instead on the bunt, and LF is too green to come in and cover 3B.

DD said it's her fault that she should have checked before throwing. I told her that in a fast game like this, you have to just throw it or else the runner would be safe. They are on a National team, so the fielders should know better.

What should she have done? Should she get the error or should it be SS's error for covering the wrong base?

I'm curious about what the group concensus is. We had something similar happen in our game. We still scored it as a successful sacrifice bunt and no error on the throw. Error went to SS by our book scorer because the ball was accurately thrown, but it was the failure of the fielder to be there. There was a lot of discussion among the parents between the "mental mistakes/misjudgements aren't errors" crowd and the "failure to stop an accurately thrown ball is an error on the fielder" crowd.

So in the end, sac bunt 1-4, E6 is what is in the book and what I put into GameChanger.

Sent from my SM-T878U using Tapatalk

Jul 3, 2013
I'm curious about what the group concensus is. We had something similar happen in our game. We still scored it as a successful sacrifice bunt and no error on the throw. Error went to SS by our book scorer because the ball was accurately thrown, but it was the failure of the fielder to be there. There was a lot of discussion among the parents between the "mental mistakes/misjudgements aren't errors" crowd and the "failure to stop an accurately thrown ball is an error on the fielder" crowd.

So in the end, sac bunt 1-4, E6 is what is in the book and what I put into GameChanger.

Sent from my SM-T878U using Tapatalk
Lol. No. Error on the player that throws the ball to nobody.

Apr 20, 2015
Error on 2b not fair but thats the scoring rule. There are lots of ways to cover this play the easiest is with the pitcher depending on how deep the left fielder is. It happens to the best of teams

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Error on the throw. No question. F6 going to 2B is the right move. Sometimes you can back-pick the lead runner at 2B after the out at 1B.

If F5 fields the ball on a bunt play, I like F2 going to cover 3B, largely because they are probably moving in that direction already with a bunt in play. If anyone other than F5 fields the bunt, F5 needs to hustle back to cover 3B.

F1 is a reasonable option to cover 3B, also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom