How to pitch a...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
good point... i never thought to ask him what the wind conditions were like in his backyard... the right wind direction most definitely enhances the movement on this pitch... blowing out to right center is the best...

The trees in the background aren't moving. I would imagine it takes less to move a leaf that it does a softball.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I have seen off speed curves and change ups with good side spin break more than I thought they should, this goes back to the idea that as velocity goes up momentum/inertia increases faster than Magnus force, so a slower pitch might break more than a faster one.

May 13, 2023
I have seen off speed curves and change ups with good side spin break more than I thought they should, this goes back to the idea that as velocity goes up momentum/inertia increases faster than Magnus force, so a slower pitch might break more than a faster one.
👍

Bonus~ mixing speeds with movement are TWO adjustments batters have to make.

Aug 21, 2008
Per my promise to RAD, I went back and watched the video. I also did ArmWhip's video, and cut to 9 min in, per his suggestions.

I guess I am failing to see this movement. I saw several computer generated pitches and simulations but, I didn't see actual movement. On the Armwhip video, I feel like the guy's arm is away from his body (not having the Brush interference that everyone on here likes to talk about) and because his arm was away from his body, the angle of the ball thrown was off center. Basically, from what I saw, it isn't much different than the pitching coach who teaches: Step over your powerline, then twist your body at the release. In other words, step to the right, throw it to the left and call it a breaking pitch. Or the popular, step way out to your left, leave your arm off line of the body, angling the pitch inside to a RHB and look at the "screwball"

The other thing I noticed on one of the videos is, he appeared to be on the far right side of the pitching rubber when he threw it to the left side of the plate, again angling the pitch.

So, I don't know. Apparently I didn't see everything that others did.

I guess the next question I'd ask is, if these techniques for slow pitch are out there, how come more pitchers aren't doing it? Keeping in mind, there are sponsors who pay big bucks to ball players. If there is a way a pitcher can limit the other team's offense, why are the scores in slow pitch games 35-32? Why is there still limits on how many HR's a team can hit per inning? Maybe that's over simplistic. I truly don't know. But it seems to me if this guy has all of these pitches down, and can get hitters to miss hit or not swing at his strikes, how is he not making $5K a weekend on one of the big money teams? Fastpitch teams pay that, and more, to the top pitchers. And there's 10x as many male slowpitch teams as there are fastpitch.

I am not sure what I'm missing.

Jul 4, 2018
san diego ca
well bill, i guess you're just going to have to come to san diego so I can show you in person... although I think weeknight ace may live closer to you...

did you watch the original video I posted with rod cross on veritasium... let me ask you this... do they have movement when they pitch a cricket ball? explain how that works and then try to see how it works for me too... this is the physics I use... it's not about how much spin I can get... it's about orienting the ball properly and getting the spin I need for gyroscopic stability, oriented through the center of the smooth spot inside the horseshoe of the seams... I'll post the video if you haven't watched it yet...

"why are the scores in slow pitch games 35-32"

our games tend to be closer to 12-15 runs... in our men's leagues... in my over 45 league, we score closer to 20 runs because of old men not making the plays they used to make...

" if these techniques for slow pitch are out there, how come more pitchers aren't doing it?"

because they are new and there are a lot of skeptics... unless you actually witness it, it's hard to believe... not only that but it's a finesse pitch... everything has to be right for mine to work... I've had a lot of people give up on it... and only a few who got it... another factor is the wind... it affects this pitch a lot... adjusting to it is possible sometimes but it's hit and miss unless you understand vectors and that crap... playing in leagues on the same fields makes it easier... playing all over the country in different conditions may not adapt well to this finesse pitch...

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
I saw a human throwing pitches with good details added to the screen to exhibit the details in Pitch movement.
That included showing the Spin Direction and Axis of the ball while traveling. Including a line that shows where the hand was releasing the ball and could follow the ball all the way up and all the way down and where the ball started to move.
The lines on the screen also added detail for reference of measurement in inches to the ball's movement.

Add, imo the video is an excellent example for all pitchers to exhibit how much movement they are producing for their sports skills videos.

This could additionally be a tool that pitching instructors use for their students to provide reference exhibiting skills building throughout training. Measurement used for goals. Beyond visual reference, it is a measured reference.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06