How to lay off the rise ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
zitw1g.gif

If this hitter can't leave it alone how can we teach a mere mortal to lay off of it???

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
You also have an extremely high caliber pitcher throwing to her. We also don't know what she did to set her up or what the count was. I see MLB players swing at the high stuff, too. I like to say, "Easy to see, hard to hit!"

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
All you can do is try to game plan according to the pitcher. If you know she's a drop ball pitcher, then get in the very front of the box and hit it before it starts moving. Conversely, if you know she's a rise ball pitcher, then be prepared for high stuff. Set your self up again in the front of the box with elbows above the strike zone and plan to stay high and inside. If the pitch comes anywhere else, then its a very easy and natural adjustment to adjust down or away. But you will never hit a rise with low hands and looking for lower stuff.
In the video your seeing the highest level players in the world. Plus that was one hell of a pitch! Sometimes its not for the lack of preparation in your batters, but the fact the pitcher is just that good?!?!?

Last edited:

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
zitw1g.gif

You also have an extremely high caliber pitcher throwing to her. We also don't know what she did to set her up or what the count was. I see MLB players swing at the high stuff, too. I like to say, "Easy to see, hard to hit!"
Yes She was probably set but look at this pitch... at best it started at the top of the strike zone.

All you can do is try to game plan according to the pitcher. If you know she's a drop ball pitcher, then get in the very front of the box and hit it before it starts moving. Conversely, if you know she's a rise ball pitcher, then be prepared for high stuff. Set your self up again in the front of the box with elbows above the strike zone and plan to stay high and inside. If the pitch comes anywhere else, then its a very easy and natural adjustment to adjust down or away. But you will never hit a rise with low hands and looking for lower stuff.
In the video your seeing the highest level players in the world. Plus that was one hell of a pitch! Sometimes its not for the lack of preparation in your batters, but the fact the pitcher is just that good?!?!?

agreed it's a great pitch. This batter had to know She was a rise baller and this pitch IMO was never a strike.

Zone low sounds like a good strategy against a rise baller. I guess in BP you could put a string out 3/4 to home plate set between the belly button and the numbers and tell the hitters not to swing at anything above it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs