How to hit a rise ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
90+ % of hitters are going to have a hard time hitting a fastball/rise up in the zone, regardless of how good their mechanics are..those pitches are just harder to hit. If a team allows a pitcher to live up there they are not going to have much success.
DD#2 chased up in the zone against hs pitchers that wouldn’t stand a chance against her in the summer. It was so frustrating for her. (And me.) Don’t know what the difference was except I think she was thinking about seeing how far she could hit it in hs vs solid hard contact on the sweet spot like she does in the summer. Whatever the diff was she got owned by them, lol

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Best pitchers in the world will pitch you there until you can hit it lol.
Right but pitchers make mistakes, the best ones just make less mistakes. If every pitcher was Pedro Martinez the league BA would be 0.200

May 12, 2016
Rendon likes high and outside (weirdo..) although sample size for that pitch at head height might be small :LOL:
View attachment 17328
Yeah I was going to say the same thing..

1588260327698.png

Outside up around his chin.. probably swung at one pitch in that location in the last 2 seasons.. most likely a 2 strike count. Does this mean Donaldson should go up to the plate looking for that pitch.. :)

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Yeah I was going to say the same thing..

View attachment 17329

Outside up around his chin.. probably swung at one pitch in that location in the last 2 seasons.. most likely a 2 strike count. Does this mean Donaldson should go up to the plate looking for that pitch.. :)
Looks more like he never saw a pitch he didn't like ;)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Exactly.. a good hitter goes up to the plate with a certain attack zone.. 2 strikes is a different situation

Knee - Meatball
Thigh - MeatBall
Hip - Meatball
Elbow - Pitchers pitch
Shoulders - Strikeout
Head - Strikeout
Even waisted further. - Strike out

The best hitters are able to handle any pitch... but they don't go up there trying to hit a strikeout pitch when the count < 2 strikes. They look for a pitch in meatball zone and do damage which makes them intelligent hitters as well.. and then they deal with it when 2 strikes against. Hitting is hard enough period..
Agree inteligence = identifying pitches.

* the locations i wrote of 'ability to throw rise at' was to say it can be used at a variety of locations.

Setting up a batter
Going out and down
Then out a curve
Then out a curve
The out a rise in the zone is relevant!
The spin hard to identify
Up or out?

Batters or hitters rather who can identify an out of the zone rise will let it go.
To still be able to use a rise
Might mix in a lower rise for a pitch that stays nearer a strike than say a screwball tailing off the plate.

A good drop ball pitcher will mix a lower rise in as it appears very similar height wise at initial release.

Spin is a great component to the rise in addition to location.

* It was rare to get any meat pitches in top tier travel.
And less in D1 or womens open.

May 12, 2016
Agree inteligence = identifying pitches.

* the locations i wrote of 'ability to throw rise at' was to say it can be used at a variety of locations.

Setting up a batter
Going out and down
Then out a curve
Then out a curve
The out a rise in the zone is relevant!
The spin hard to identify
Up or out?

Batters or hitters rather who can identify an out of the zone rise will let it go.
To still be able to use a rise
Might mix in a lower rise for a pitch that stays nearer a strike than say a screwball tailing off the plate.

A good drop ball pitcher will mix a lower rise in as it appears very similar height wise at initial release.

* It was rare to get any meat pitches in top tier travel.
And less in D1 or womens open.
Sounds to me you are a little catcher biased... lol

I see meat thrown at every level.. regardless it's hard to hit high 90's and 70's period which is why pitchers can get away with mistakes. Considering that, the hitter better go up to the plate with an attack zone

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hahaa catcher biased,
Hmmm raise my hand to that:)

Of course theres some meat pitches, not as many.
And certainly not many against the top 20. Or womens open.

Would like to see stats on
Stike outs swing and miss
vs. Looking...
Have seen more of those past few years and in CWS TERRIBLE!

Also see many catchers strikes framing taking out batters.
Chose hitting mechanics wisely!!!! ;)

May 12, 2016
Hahaa catcher biased,
Hmmm raise my hand to that:)

Of course theres some meat pitches, not as many.
And certainly not against the top 20. Or womens open.

Would like to see stats on
Stike outs swing and miss
vs. Looking...
Have seen more of those past few years and in CWS TERRIBLE!

Also see many catchers strikes framing taking out batters.
Chose hitting mechanics wisely!!!! ;)
Ahh the worse feeling in the world, going down looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdowowihcw