How to hit a rise ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
You start seeing riseball pitchers who can throw it for a strike more regularly at 16’s and up on better teams. It’s still not super common and they aren’t going to throw it for a strike unless they have to.

When you see a pitcher that can do the above, she is probably going places.
I agree 100%

Jun 8, 2016
To your point with 2 strikes...
Especially have to be able to hit everything...the pitcher is not looking to throw the hitters favorite pitch.

Pitch selection is a different conversation.

Identying hitting mechanics is critical to calling pitches!
90+ % of hitters are going to have a hard time hitting a fastball/rise up in the zone, regardless of how good their mechanics are..those pitches are just harder to hit. If a team allows a pitcher to live up there they are not going to have much success.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
The point was compared to other parts in the zone, the best hitter on the planet (or one of them) had a much harder time with pitches high in the zone...
And inside down and off the plate outside. What an amazing talent.

May 12, 2016
90+ % of hitters are going to have a hard time hitting a fastball/rise up in the zone, regardless of how good their mechanics are..those pitches are just harder to hit. If a team allows a pitcher to live up there they are not going to have much success.
Exactly.. a good hitter goes up to the plate with a certain attack zone.. 2 strikes is a different situation
When you say chasing,
I think of certain hitting mechanics.
But not all!

Also identifying height of pitch is essential.

Throw riser's at
Knee
Thigh
Hip
Elbow
Shoulders
Head
Even waisted further.

Knee - Meatball
Thigh - MeatBall
Hip - Meatball
Elbow - Pitchers pitch
Shoulders - Strikeout
Head - Strikeout
Even waisted further. - Strike out

The best hitters are able to handle any pitch... but they don't go up there trying to hit a strikeout pitch when the count < 2 strikes. They look for a pitch in meatball zone and do damage which makes them intelligent hitters as well.. and then they deal with it when 2 strikes against. Hitting is hard enough period..

Jun 8, 2016
Rendon likes high and outside (weirdo..) although sample size for that pitch at head height might be small :LOL:
Screenshot from 2020-04-30 10-19-18.png

Jun 8, 2016
Point is best hitters in the world have a harder time hitting balls with velocity up in the zone (e.g. most riseballs). Don't swing at those pitches unless you need to...

Edit: I am saving this presentation for Marcela when she starts facing riseballs so I can get the inevitable "I know Dad" with the also inevitable accompanying "sour face" 😂

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Point is best hitters in the world have a harder time hitting balls with velocity up in the zone (e.g. most riseballs). Don't swing at those pitches unless you need to...
Best pitchers in the world will pitch you there until you can hit it lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283