How to help an ambidextrous pitcher.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
Greg Harris, a former Red Sox pitcher, could pitch from either side, although the Red Sox only allowed him to pitch right handed. He had a special glove that allowed him to wear it on either hand.

Oct 19, 2009
I went with my daughter to watch this kid pitch yesterday and I did meet her, but before any practice took place a thunder storm set in and the recreation director canceled practice.

She looks athletic, I would say she is taller than average, has long legs, arms and fingers. IMO has the physical features to be a good pitcher.

I’m leaning toward telling my daughter to keep her throwing lefty seeing that is how she has been taught by the last coach, and to tell her to work on the right side if she has any spare time and any desire to pitch from both sides at some point.

At first having her be successful as a pitcher and having fun is what I told my daughter should be the priority. :)

Looks like this is rare finding someone who has this gift. :eek:

Mar 15, 2011
Correct. Let her develop both sides. An added benefit is that should she ever have an injury she could possibly keep pitching.

Mar 25, 2011
I'm surprised I haven't seen this yet... what is her natural? I would give her no glove, without telling her what I'm looking for except for her to throw out a base runner to first base. I'd have 4-5 girls standing at home plate, ready to run. I'd roll her the ball like a grounder hit sharply back to her. See how she fields the ball. Glove hand will be down, and hopefully she will come up firing with her dominant arm. I would try to avoid the whole conversation about pitching strengths, which is stronger... until you have your experiment run. Do 4 or 5 tries, to establish comfort and confidence, in both her and your opinions... (she might change mid way through...)

Then you at least have a better foundation for her 'natural' overhand throw. I've read on this board more than once a correlation between overhand throwing strength and maximum velocity for windmill pitching. That would be what I'd consider when moving forwards. It doesn't mean I'd kill off the 'other' side, but I would definitely focus my attention to her dominant side. Then tell her it's her choice to go whichever, and focus on her at home training how she sees fit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877