How to handle almost entire team showing up late for game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2019
How did the team do? I see some of these teams warm up for longer than the games are. I always get my team there ready to warm up 60 min, but thats really because sometimes the game will start when umps show up 15 min early. I have to assume games may start early. But don’t really need the warmup to be longer than the game.

but it sounds like some parents treated it like a weekend away to fave fun. Those can be fun, but showing up at 7:30 for an 8 am game when your staying a hotel 10 min away is a bad look.

Apr 30, 2018
How did the team do?

Had a tough draw to start facing off against a strong second year team and got smoked. Won the next two, but they were weak teams. They either walked us or lobbed a 35mph meatball that got hammered. Sunday morning faced another second year team and lost, but not horribly (5-3). It was mainly due to their first pitcher walking a few and giving up a few hits. Second pitcher shut us down.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2013
Different sport but a good friend of mine had a DD who played Hockey for a travel team. One day they showed up late and coach had her do stop and goes for quite awhile. The dad told my friend that this gets the kids to push the parents to get there on time. He said they were never late again.

Jun 8, 2016
Lightweights..my roomate in college would drink a case of beer on Sat. night and then make it to 8 AM church with us on Sunday morning..of course he was still drunk at church but he made it there!!

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
One fall tourney we had the 8am game. Of course, we had to be there no later than 6:45am. The girls were waiting at their designated spot at the front of the park. Coach is no where to found. It's still dark outside and the lights on the fields aren't even on yet. Girls figured out that coach is on her way. Girls go to their dugout and not one girl stepped up to lead to start their warm up routine. They were very happy to just there. Parents were a little perturbed. Coach is 26 years old. We gave her a pass on that one.

I take my responsibilities as a coach very seriously. I was typically the first one there and the last one to leave. If I was unable to make it early (typically something job related), I reached out to an assistant and asked him/her to arrive early and start getting things ready. As a parent, I stress the same beliefs to my daughter. When she played high school ball, it wasn't uncommon for the coach to show up 10 or 15 minutes late for practice. During her junior and senior years, DD would organize the team and get them started on warmups until the coach arrived.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Different sport but a good friend of mine had a DD who played Hockey for a travel team. One day they showed up late and coach had her do stop and goes for quite awhile. The dad told my friend that this gets the kids to push the parents to get there on time. He said they were never late again.

When I played high school baseball, the coach would make us run until anyone that was late showed up. It didn't take long for the players to start pressuring each other to show up on time.

May 6, 2015
accoutability is great, but must be tempered with allowances for real life (work issues, other sibling issues, car issues, etc.)

was opponent there by 7:00? If so, I might have asked if the two on time could pickup with them for the day, and forfeited, and make myself scarce until after first game was supposed to be over. would have lots of upset players and probably steamed parents, but they would have gotten the message.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Can remember working at starbucks,
On occaision we'd have the customer pissed off saying
'We' were making them late.

Not that its mandatory to make a trip to starbucks befor work, its just perspective on accountability.

Wonder if those bosses thought it was a viable excuse?
Cuz clocking in late is clocking late coffee in hand or not.

Nov 8, 2020
If everyone is staying at the same hotel, the coaches offer to take the girls to the field so they will be there 90 mins prior to game time and the families can do things like pack or have breakfast and show up closer to game time. That then puts the responsibility back on the girls to be in the hotel lobby on time.
Parents are going to partake in the good times no matter what, and that's more difficult to regulate unless you have a very high performing team with lines of people trying to join it. And even then, those teams always seem to have parents who enjoy the travel. You have to remember that many families in travel ball have those events out of town as their only vacations. They don't go to the river, lake, beach, islands, sand dunes, ski resorts because they use all their weekends going to ball fields with their kids. Perhaps offer the ride to all the players from the hotel to the field and put the onus of being on time on the players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom