How to get balls dry during game? Any Tricks?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2011
Does anyone have a little trick on getting balls dry during the rain or early morning games other then a dry towel? Both of my daughters are pitchers (10u and 14u) and at most tournaments they use limited balls during the game. Three at the most. When it is raining or wet grass you are drying the ball after every couple of pitches. Does anyone have any tricks. Just wondering if there was anything out there.

Jul 26, 2010
The one and only use for a sham-wow. Have an assistant coach in charge of keeping balls dry and changing them out. Umpires appreciate this.

The pitchers should also practice with wet balls (along with the rest of the team). Out here in California it's always dewy for those first few morning games and the ball is always wet until about 10am.

-W

Oct 19, 2009
Ever pitching practice DD coach has her throw with wet balls to get accustom to throwing during damp conditions.

I like the Gorilla Gold also it is a sticky rag that has a pine tar rag feel without the pine tar, DD only uses it during wet conditions other times she like a rosin bag better.

Jan 20, 2010
The oil spill stuff for garage floors.... put some in a 5gal bucket (about 5"deep) and rotate the wet balls in and out of it...

Dang you carry around a 5gal bucket of kitty litter with you to ball games. I got enough to pull in the wagon already. :)

Jun 18, 2010
Not meant to hijack the thread, but DD seems to have more issues with her shoes and footing during wet conditions than issues with a wet ball. Her cleats get caked with mud which usually causes problems pushing or hitting resistance.

Jul 26, 2010
Not meant to hijack the thread, but DD seems to have more issues with her shoes and footing during wet conditions than issues with a wet ball. Her cleats get caked with mud which usually causes problems pushing or hitting resistance.

That's usually a sign of a bad field, too much clay, not enough fines. Metal cleats are more resistant to this. My only suggestion here is to spread some sand in front of the rubber if you have that option, if not, have a stiff brush available to clean out the cleats. Never let a kid bang the mud off their cleats with a bat. If they make that a habit they will chip the heck out of their composite bats once they wear metal cleats.

As for drying the balls, seriously that's why we have assistant coaches. It gives them something to do when the buckets don't need to be carried.

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207