Field prep during the game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes that reads
Field prep during the game. :)
At HB sports complex saturday a pgf event.

The field crew was apperently not on schedule with the games...
During the game
~in the midst of game being played~
Field crew drive golf cart onto the field to
Drag the infield and outline again batters boxes.
(which just really disappears in one at bat with dry dirt)

Umpire yells out
'Time is stopped for the field crew.'

While people in the path of dry flying dirt moved out of the way.
( no water for dirt at hb complex)
Took 10 minutes'ish

And then game proceeded.
Pitcher didnt get any
Re-warm up pitches.
Not as an excuse
But she did throw
4 balls in a row.

Anyone else have
Field prep game break like this?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019
Haha you're lucky you get any field prep at all
We usually have lines and nice field for game one then the grounds crew goes fishing for the rest of the day.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Other then a game stopping because the pitching distance was wrong.
Or weather delay.
This may have been first time to see
Time, Drag the field.

Sep 3, 2015
Never seen that during a game.

@rad, was the showcase well attended by college coaches? I know a few teams that were down there playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
I mentioned grounds crews in another thread but didn't tell the story ...

I wouldn't have allowed them on the field in that case @RADcatcher. I was working a state tournament a few years back where the crew was "overstretched." On the way to the field, we walked by them they sitting in their area on their phones (or whatever). During our plate meeting, I see them starting to come through the gate with their rigs and tools. I excused myself from the plate meeting and went and waived them off. After the game we had a conversation they weren't happy about.

Sorry, I'm not holding up my job because you couldn't/didn't do yours. I'm not even badmouthing them, it wasn't their fault they were 3 guys/gals trying to to turn 10 fields each round. I'm just saying no, it isn't going to hold us up.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Years ago our org was hosting a tourney and I was in charge of field prep between games. I was so cool since I knew how to water the field via the sprinkler system. Little did I know there was a sprinkler head that had a leak. I was so proud that I was able to water the dirt and then a freaking muddle puddle started to form behind the SS position. Dang it! I was moving as much dry dirt to that spot as possible. Then my socks got orange!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Never seen that during a game.

@rad, was the showcase well attended by college coaches? I know a few teams that were down there playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saw only a few.
But was only there 3 hours.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I mentioned grounds crews in another thread but didn't tell the story ...

I wouldn't have allowed them on the field in that case @RADcatcher. I was working a state tournament a few years back where the crew was "overstretched." On the way to the field, we walked by them they sitting in their area on their phones (or whatever). During our plate meeting, I see them starting to come through the gate with their rigs and tools. I excused myself from the plate meeting and went and waived them off. After the game we had a conversation they weren't happy about.

Sorry, I'm not holding up my job because you couldn't/didn't do yours. I'm not even badmouthing them, it wasn't their fault they were 3 guys/gals trying to to turn 10 fields each round. I'm just saying no, it isn't going to hold us up.
Wave them off! Seriously THANK YOU again!

it was weird.
& gonna say completly unnecessary.

Mmmmaybe someone would have complained had it not been done :unsure:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi