how to get 10u pitcher to slow down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2014
My DD is 10u as well. I started giving her signs. She starts just behind the mound and catcher gives her a sign then she steps on mound and throws the pitch. It has helped a lot. It gives her a chance to calm down and focus on the next pitch.

Oct 14, 2016
Signs should be given while on the rubber. To slow her down wait to give the catcher her signs, which then the catcher will relay those signs. Experienced pitchers like to get in a rhythm, once she finds that rhythm she will understand that its not a pitching race.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Nov 29, 2009
What I do with the young ones, and some of the older girls too, is to help them understand what they are doing in the circle. I tell them each pitch has a start point and a finish point. They must separate each pitch. When I start working on it I have them stand there watching the second hand on my watch tick away 20 seconds. It's agonizingly slow when they are watching the time tick away while doing nothing. It gives them a sense of having ample time and no need to rush to the next pitch.

Then I give them a pre-pitch routine to do. And I make sure they do it on every pitch till it becomes second nature to them. If you watch the best pitchers in the world they do the same routine on every pitch whether the bases are full or empty. It is a familiar place to start and it helps eliminate nerves.

The first thing in the sequence is checking an imaginary runner once the ball has been returned from the catcher. If they turn their back on the runner or they forget about the runner they gave up a base or a run scores.

Then I have them walk to the back of the circle making sure the defense is in place, turn and walk to the back of the pitchers plate and stop.

From there I have them transfer the ball into the glove. Then step on to the pitcher's plate in the same sequence every pitch.

Take a signal. Bring the hands together, get the grip on the ball, throw the pitch mentally and then deliver the pitch. Once finished the sequence starts all over again.

I do it simulating hits or balls put in play as well as balls not put in play. I'll do foul balls, waiting for the ball to get brought back to the field. I try to hit them with as many of the different things that can happen in a game I can think of, trying to get them to learn how to work at a pace that suits them the best without running the pitches together.

You have to be consistent with it, especially when you're first working on it. I can usually frustrate them in the beginning because they keep making mistakes. When I see they are I will ask them if they are. Most of the time they answer yes. Then I'll tell them, good. Because if it was a game they'd be doubly frustrated when another team does the same things to her. Pretty soon it'll be automatic.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Rules question

DD struggles with some umpires knowing when she is allowed to throw the ball. A couple of them point at her, others just squat down. Is there any standard way the umpire is supposed to do?

Nov 29, 2009
Most times the umpire will lower into the position to call balls and strikes when the pitcher starts their motion. Hard to hold the set position for long periods of time. As for the pointing. Most umpires will hold their hand up while time is called. Once the umpire determines play should resume they will point to the pitcher as a signal she is cleared to pitch.

That has been the usual mechanics I've seen from umpires over the years.

Tell your DD to pitch unless she sees the umpire holding their hand up or she knows when time has been called by the umpire. If she is wrong the umpire will stop her.

Feb 7, 2013
As long as she is using good mechanics, I wouldn't worry too much about how quickly she works in practice. DD has always worked fast during pitching practice and probably throws as many pitches in 30 minutes as other girls in 45 - 50 minutes. I have not seen any downside to working fast.

Jul 15, 2016
My DD (also 10u) used to do the same thing. We watched a couple NCAA games and focused on the pitchers and their routines. We spent about 30 minutes one practice just working on a comfortable "routine" for her. We also stressed that the word of the day (most days anyway) is consistency, and the only way to get that in her pitches was to slow down and focus

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi