How to choose a tryout - team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
My 13 yo DD is in a unique situation. After our 1st year 14u team fell apart in the spring we took a spot on a 2nd year 14u team for the remainder of the season. That team is moving up to 16u, and although they have offered a spot to my DD, we have declined and have decided to stay at the 14u level. My DD is only 13 so she is young and skill wise she isn't ready for 16u. So now we need to participate in tryouts for her team next year. Not fun, but part of the game I guess.

Question: - How do you choose/decide what tryouts to attend. All the teams are scheduling tryouts at the same time, on the same 2 days. This will only allow my DD to tryout for 2 teams. I guess we could try to schedule a private tryout with other teams, but I'm not sure how that looks to other coaches. They know that we are scheduling a private tryout because we attended other tryouts that were scheduled at the same time as theirs.

I'm not sure how the team situation looks in your part of the woods, but where I live it seams like there is more movement with coaches & teams than I have seen in the past. New coaches, new teams, new new new.... Some teams have dissolved, new teams have formed and other teams have had their head coaches leave and now the assistant coaches take over.

So how do you intelligently chose a team to attend tryouts with? Last year we made a horrible mistake in choosing the team we played with and they eventually fell apart after the head coach went MIA in the middle of the season.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
One thing you need to look at is what your goals are versus the various teams. If you want to play at the highest level possible and know that means fighting for playing time I'd look at the teams' websites and see who has been to ASA or Premier Nationals. Also, see if they have gone to any showcases. For the top tier, look for teams that are part of successful organizations.

That being said, there are many very good independent teams, but put in the time to research them.

Also, see if you know any current or past players and talk to them and their parents. Also, you should feel free to call the head coach. Ask questions about philosophy, playing time, team goals, etc. Any good coach should be happy to answer.

finally, you might say where you are so folks here can make specific suggestions.

Feb 16, 2012
I am in the same boat with my DD. I have made a mental note of what I want the team to offer in the way of organization, practices, pitching time and overall goals. My list has been small due to that. My daughter wants to play, and will be able to, at the highest level which again limits the number of teams in my area.

I email and/or call every head coach and talk to them at length. I have had two private try outs planned for her already and two open try outs scheduled. The elite coaches understand the process and have no problems with private tryouts. My daughter missed a tryout for a high level team yesterday due to family commitments and the HC and I have spoken twice today already. He made offers to 2 other pitchers and if one of them declines he will call me for a private tryout. Open communication both ways is key so everyone understands the process.

I don't keep anything from the coaches that see my daughter. They all know who is looking at her or wants to look at her. The first one who makes an offer that my daughter likes will be who we go with. I have done my homework on the coach and the organization and know that the tryouts she goes to are good teams/organizations.

Hope this helps some. The tryout process can be tedious and stressful for the DD's. Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1