How to break the news?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Thanks everyone for the responses. We are going to hold tryouts on the 14th. Is 48 hours a good time to keep letting players know if they made the team? Also, is it better by phone call or email? If by phone, do you call the player or the parents?

May 25, 2010
Thanks everyone for the responses. We are going to hold tryouts on the 14th. Is 48 hours a good time to keep letting players know if they made the team? Also, is it better by phone call or email? If by phone, do you call the player or the parents?

I'd definitely want to hear by phone, but very interesting question, player or parents? Is that an age-dependent thing? My 7-year-old knows exactly what it means to make a team or not be selected, so surely a 10u would? I guess you talk to both player and parents, eh?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I'd definitely want to hear by phone, but very interesting question, player or parents? Is that an age-dependent thing? My 7-year-old knows exactly what it means to make a team or not be selected, so surely a 10u would? I guess you talk to both player and parents, eh?

This is 14U

May 25, 2010
At that age, players first, absolutely. The parents are welcome to speak to you if they'd like, but the call goes to the player.

Jul 26, 2010
Hold open tryouts, let the players know that all positions are open. It's easier for the kids to be cut when they see that they didn't perform up to par to the other kids trying out, rather then simply have their coach say "you're not good enough".

Remember, there is no point of winning until your daughter is in college. The point is building softball and life skills to the point where your daughters can get that good scholarship. If the kids who have been with you for 4 years aren't going to play with you anymore, you might as well give them one last life lesson on their way out by showing them where the measuring stick is.

-W

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
on their way out by showing them where the measuring stick is.

At first I thought...harsh. But a second later it really makes sense. All through life you will be measured. Finding out now that it counts for something may make these kids work harder to achieve the things that are important to them.

DD tried out for a team and didn't make the cut. While disappointed she observed that there were 11 girls there better than her. To bad only 9 of them made the team. The other two were coaches daughters. That's where the "who you know" lesson was introduced.

Dec 19, 2009

What happens if the girl kills it at the tryout? Would you keep her or still cut her loose?

At 14U I could see calling the girl but anything below that I'd rather be getting the call as her parent.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA